Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eddy

respirator

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

If you can swing it, woodcraft has a battery powered 1/2 face for under 70$ I have been using this for several years now and it works great. The next upgrades would be a trident or a trend. both are $$$$, but include a shield and are rechargeable. The woodcraft one, for the money, is the best bet. In any case, get the best one that you can afford. Exotic woods can be dangerous.

View Postwhat am i looking for for the filters?

toxic dust?

R95 or R100 is what you need. That mask comes with the R95 filters.

Before you go and buy a respirator you should should do a little research to see what the dangers are with wearing one. If properly fitted and used in a healthy person they are great but fitted wrong, used wrong, or used with a person with lung issues and it could be deadly..... Part of the main issue is breathing back in your breath and poisoning yourself.

Just putting that out there.

John

View PostBefore you go and buy a respirator you should should do a little research to see what the dangers are with wearing one. If properly fitted and used in a healthy person they are great but fitted wrong, used wrong, or used with a person with lung issues and it could be deadly..... Part of the main issue is breathing back in your breath and poisoning yourself.

Just putting that out there.

John

How can you use one wrong?

I'm not an expert but if they are not properly fitted your breath won't exit right and you end up breathing it back in. In most work places where a respirator is needed an employee needs to get a physical done to show their lungs are functioning well enough to use it and then the employee needs to be trained how to fit and use it. These are OSHA guidelines.

If you have a respirator and you use it and find yourself feeling like your a breath short and a bit dizzy you probably have an issue with the respirator.

John

3M makes a 1/2 mask one that is good. You'll want one that is specifically designed to remove the micro sized dust. Those cheap "doctor" type ones you get at Home Depot are pretty much useless.

Jigman

View PostI'm not an expert but if they are not properly fitted your breath won't exit right and you end up breathing it back in. In most work places where a respirator is needed an employee needs to get a physical done to show their lungs are functioning well enough to use it and then the employee needs to be trained how to fit and use it. These are OSHA guidelines.

If you have a respirator and you use it and find yourself feeling like your a breath short and a bit dizzy you probably have an issue with the respirator.

John

I had an instance recently where I became REALLY dizzy actually. I had to take off the mask and I sat down. I felt whacked out. I wonder if that mask is crap? It feels a bit weird breathing in with that mask. I may grab a 3M and see how that is.

View Post3M makes a 1/2 mask one that is good. You'll want one that is specifically designed to remove the micro sized dust. Those cheap "doctor" type ones you get at Home Depot are pretty much useless.

Jigman

Yea, that's what my lungs were telling me too. redface.gif

I wish I knew about the side effects of cedar as a kid. Think of all the days I could have missed with a convincing sore throat redface.gif

I use NIOSH N95 rated masks with carbon, they are more then adequate for turning but I would not use them for pouring lead.

Those doctors masks do nothing, those are intended to protect the patient and not the doctor BTW. wink.gif

For VOC's when painting or poring lead, i use a half mask respirator with the proper cartridges and it works wonderful.