Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sidewinder

Tagged Stripers

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I caught 2 stripers this year with tags one 3 way Bucktailing Orient in May... 8lbs 26 " yellow tag behind dorsal...

I caught the other one last week on a south shore Long Island beach somewhere east of FI inlet on a bucktail about 15lbs 34" blue tag on side of the fish

Anyone else catch tagged Stripers this year ? no need for specific locations just general is fine

I do the yellow tags behind the dorsal fins. I don't think the one you got would be one of mine but I will never know unless you send it in. And, at this time I would like to ask everyone to send in those tags.

Peace

Please send in your tagged fish results.

I run a tagging program and have done so since 1998 or so.

The info we collect is fun for our members and valuable info for scientists doing studies.

Our only reward is the return of tagging info and the thought that we caught and tagged the fish and somone else got the enjoyment of catching the fish also.

I do the yellow tags behind the dorsal fins. I will never know unless you send it in. And, at this time I would like to ask everyone to send in those tags.

Ditto for me...I am a Littoral Society tagger also. I tend to take the extra handling time to tag my larger fish (over 36"); and I usually reserve tagging for the extremes of the season when the water is cold.. I believe they handle the extra out of water time and tag insertion injury better adhering to this criteria.

I am also an ALS tagger --any fish caught with a yellow string tag is one of those--please return all tags caught with the appropriate info as it can aide in the research data of the appropriate species of the fish tagged. You will also receive a letter stating the info on the fish--date released, length, site released -captured etc.

View PostA lot of the tag spots seem to get super infected. Isn't there a better way?

About all we could do is carry antiseptic for the fish and the tagging equipment. If I was a boat guy I would already have some on board, but as a caster it is harder to carry more stuff. I am looking into it.

I was talking with the ALS tagging director last weekend and he was telling me that even the worst looking tag sites are on fish that were feeding and in most cases migrating as the fish should be.

The other types of tags either need a science degree to use or they are of the type that will be pushed out of the fish in a few years time.

Peace

i know to send the tags in and releasing the fish almost all of my fish are released.. i was posting this to see if anyone else was catching any tagged fish recently because i heard of another caught with a tag in the same spot i caught mine... i do appreciate the info on the tagging and what to do with them when caught... thanks

Early spring this year on my boat my friend caught a 19" bass on the north shore. Tagged a year before in the same place at 18", I suspect it never migrated south.

Couple years back caught a 8-10lb blue on a south shore jetty that was caught a year before and tagged in south Jersey.

Cool stuff they sent us a hat & pin and all the info. on the fish.

Early spring this year on my boat my friend caught a 19" bass on the north shore. Tagged a year before in the same place at 18", I suspect it never migrated south.

Not necessarily true-- Incredibly, I surf recaught my own, ALS tagged striper 16 months later, less than a quarter mile away from where I caught it originally. It had grown 2 inches! Stripers, and most fish and wildlife are marvelously genetic. Capt. Al Anderson, charterboat out of Snug Harbor, RI, used to ALS tag hundreds of stripers seasonally, and often recaught his own tags.

i've caught three, lost one tag, the first i caught in jones inlet november 11 95. it weighed around twenty four pounds and was released. it was tagged 11/7/86 at Price Neck, Newport RI, twenty inches long. Just four days over nine years on the lam and one of the last tags to be returned according to the woman I spoke to on the phone

the second was caught and tagged at riis park april 30. i caught it 19 days later at montauk, stupid fish.

View PostNot necessarily true-- Incredibly, I surf recaught my own, ALS tagged striper 16 months later, less than a quarter mile away from where I caught it originally. It had grown 2 inches! Stripers, and most fish and wildlife are marvelously genetic. Capt. Al Anderson, charterboat out of Snug Harbor, RI, used to ALS tag hundreds of stripers seasonally, and often recaught his own tags.

How big was your (bass) initially?

I don't believe fish this small migrate (18") and it was less than a year, more like half a year in the two catch dates...but if it did, definitely was a Hudson stock.

I know my friend has some old tags of Long Island caught fish that were LARGE originally tagged off the Carolinas.

I caught one last year with a tag with so much weed, baranacle, snail on it that I dont know how he was still swimming, seriously if the fish was 26', the weed had to be double that. I cut it off, but couldnt read what it said. Fish was safely released.

View PostI don't believe fish this small migrate (18") and it was less than a year, more like half a year in the two catch dates...but if it did, definitely was a Hudson stock.

Not sure that's necessarily true. I used to tag a lot of fish in western Long Island Sound, where Hudson fish are very abundant (years ago, we caught a lot of them with Texas Instruments tags, which were used up in the river). In the spring, they were pretty distinctive, colored quite a bit darker than the fresh sea-runs, often with various fungus problems (including one I caught once that had all of its fins rotted off; I was slow-swimming one of the old Tri-Fin lures near the bottom and thought I hooked a huge mat of weed until the poor, nearly immobile bass came to boatside--the lure must have passed close enough that it didn't have to swim in pursuit, but only inhale).

Anyway, a lot of sub-18" fish that I tagged in the Sound were recaptured in the Delaware estuary or in the spawning rivers of the Chesapeake a year or two later, and when I originally caught them, they were bright fish--light green backs with silver, lavender-highlighted sides--and carrying sea lice, which suggests that they came up along the coast, and not down from the Hudson. In fact, of all the fish that I tagged in those years, which included the collapse years when Hudson fish were supposedly the most abundant, I never had a return from the river itself, although I did have a few late-season returns from the Westchester County shore, which suggested that the bass were headed back that way.