Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

Considering a Hobie....

36 posts in this topic

Sigh....I dunno. 1700 bucks for an Outback? That's a LOT of money for a kayak.

I can see all the upsides of being hands-free and with all the wind out on the water, I think it woul dbe nice to be able to use leg-power over arms.

Anyone regret the choice to go Hobie at all?

My wife likes the idea of the tandem Hobie btw. I'm not sure how that would work out for me if I go solo? No way I can buy 2 Hobies, lol. I gotta figure out how to even get 1.redface.gif

All I have to say is thank God for the pedals, it makes a huge difference! There are times when I fish a harbor or an inlet and here I am fighting a fish, alot of times the fish are dragging me around . I have boat traffic all around me and it's nice to have hands free so I can fight the fish and to get me out of harms way! In the harbor while I'm fighting fish there are times when the fish is pulling me into boats that are tied up to the moorings and with the pedals I easily maneuver myself away from them. Also with strong winds you drift very quickly so with slow steady pedal power I can hold position. I fish under the vz bridge quite often and I sit under the stantions right between the currents and hold well because of the pedals! Thank God I chose to get a hobie!

Mokes it boils down to really what type of water and where you are planning on using the Hobie the most. I.E. Freshwater, rivers streams, lakes, bays,ocean, etc.

I have an Outback, but it gets used in rivers and lakes and because the river is shallow for a better part of the year the Outback really only gets used for fall hunting or when the water is up. In the salt its no problem at all and I have a Hobie Adventure as well for long trips or the open water.

I enjoy the Outback, but will looking to pick up a revo next year to add to our collection of yaks.

I have a revo and the wife has a sport. the outback is a little more stable then the revo but is a little slower hull. I wouldnt go with the tandem.. They dont call it the divorce boat for no reason. look for them used keep ur eye open and u will find one

View PostSigh....I dunno. 1700 bucks for an Outback? That's a LOT of money for a kayak.

I can see all the upsides of being hands-free and with all the wind out on the water, I think it woul dbe nice to be able to use leg-power over arms.

I don't regret it Mokes but there are some things that should be said. The Mirage drive will require periodic maintenance and items will more then likely break within the 2 year warranty. Check up on your local hobie dealer and see how they have taken care of their clients. Your dealer, handles warranty claims, unless you move or you find yourself on a road trip, which is what happened to me, thankfully. From dealing with 2 dealers so far for warranty issues since purchasing my revo in August, I can tell you not all dealers willingness to give good service is the same. I got better service on the road then where I originally bought.

My Hobie Revolution is not the end all of kayaks or the second coming of Christ. It's a kayak, that is fun to fish out of, but it's a FIAT. I'm still going to add the OK 4.5 to the fleet. After seeing more and more hobie hulls show up with cracks even with the new click and go system, I might as well have another kayak all set up to go fish rather then wait for warranty and rig and suffer through down time. Our fishing seasons seem to be shorter and shorter every year. Down time without a platform ready to go, can suck when it's on.

After I bought the Hobie I ended up using my conventional yak only about 3 times in 2 years. I ended up selling it after that. I have had about 6 Hobies so far. They are awesome.

Hobies are the balls! I have the PA and love it! Stay away from the tandem.....it will probit you from using it as/when you like and you will only wind up selling it immediately and I can't imagine the resale would be too good??

PS-My wife liked mine so we got her an Outback...she goes all the time and loves it!!

I got an outback and with out a doubt it is the most uncomfortable yak I have ever been in. Gave it to the Mrs. to use. Give my tarpon 160i. For me the Hobie isn't it.

View Post

Rather than an "I love my Hobie", I'd suggest looking at the resale market. How often do used mirage drive hobies for sale? How long before they sell? What's their resale value? $1700 new ... how much is it worth 2 years later?

Not likely to read replies saying they regret buying a hobie ... but aren't selling it.

Brought my Hobie Outback in march and love it, wouldn't get rid of it for anything. The best thing about it for me is not having to worry about drifting to far while fighting a fish. If you buy one in feb or march you can get one of the left over ones for 200 to 300 bucks off list because they need to make room for the new modles just like cars.

bought an tandem at show 4 years ago for the mrs. and myself, 15% off at the show, live less than a mile from the dealer so did not pick up from the show. did a test drive by myself with the tandem with the front about a ft out of the water, i would use it more than the two together, when we got back to the shop canceled the tandem for the outback. three years later the shop did a repair on the hull, didn't last, when i was getting it ready for this season the repaired piece fell off. bought it to the dealer and six weeks later had a new hull after 4 yrs. owning it. peddling is easier for me-rode a bike all my life, and it comes with a paddle, i even bought the sail kit, see if you can try before you buy!!!!

I went down the route with a paddle and a big stable boat. Cobra Fish N Dive

Now I totally want a hobie, although I am totally like popeye at the end of a season

Working the Eddys of a bridge is one of the most fantastic things you can do with a Hobie as well.