Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rob

What's your favorite flavor Deciever?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I like a lot of diffenrent combos, but the red over white was very very good to me last fall....tims 30 pounder deciever was good last year also....... vader.gif

------------------

John M

Day biggrin.gifark olive over white saddle hackle body is my favorite hairy hook. Red over white would be my second.; Night: Black over black hackle body.

I don't really have an overall favorite...isn't that sad! crying.gif It depends on a couple variables...light, water color, expected critters. The few that I start with would be yellow/white hackle, blue/white hackle, olive/white hackle, 30#er hackle (green over yellow), and schoolbus hackle.

I often fish two flies, so I can get through the list of options twice as fast biggrin.gif

TimS

Ahhhh dueling double hairy hooks.....I see you have that duality theory working hard(and its a corker). But c'mon Tim.....all things being equal...pick a favorite. DOH! I also forgot the vest theory. Say no more.......of course that won't mean I will.

I'm with Tim on this one, I don't have a favorite either. I change up until I find what they desire and often use, as BillB puts it, the deuling double hairy hooks.

I have to say that the 30 pounder is up there on my list though due to the fact that I got my biggest unicorn on it last year. biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Some 40'' ers  I have met say yellow over white with a good hank of peacock herl for the back is tasty. Took me years to get them to really dance and have the right proportions, now I  use them as my go to big fish fly. Lefty's never looked like much until they were in the water, where it counts.

“If it ain’t Chartreuse it ain’t no Use“ I’ve heard that quote before and I’m a believer. From Senkos for LMB, big surf plugs to fly colors, I have a lot of Chartreuse. Otherwise, olive and white are my go-tos as well.

Deceivers .... when built right they have that "oh so subtle" undulation that seduces a strike. I do prefer flat wing deceivers ... but Classic Lefty Deceivers work as well (all the same).

I'll fish these in 3 basic "flavors" . Black @ night, Chartruese & White @ change of light and Natural colors when the light is up. By "Natural" the fly would be a mosaic of pastel colored buck-tail over white. A touch of yellow, light blue, and light olive on top. I've tied these with just buck-tail on top / top wing ... but recently decided that for most ties peacock herl makes that pattern better.

My last Spring time Striper (two days ago) ... was caught on just such a pattern.

Blue and white for me. I don't actually have any, but I got my first tarpon on that fly so it'll always be my favorite. I should tie some now that you mention it...