Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FinS 32

penn 25 monofil in the surf

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

i bought a penn 25 a while back, on ebay for $4.biggrin.gif So far it has been a good reel despite the step costwink.gif. I have only used it for trolling in a kayak, and really that's it. I want to get it powdercoated and cleaned up so i can use it in the surf.What I am wondering is has anyone doe this with this reel before? also it has not seen to much abuse by be yet, and the guy i bought it from, cleaned up and replaced some of the reels guts so, how is it with the salt?

Thanks

I have a 525 on my chunking rod. Spooled with 25lb sufix mono. Magnets turned to fast, launches 6oz of lead with a bunker head with no problems. Has enough stopping power for a decent fish. You will just need to get used to level winding with your thumb while fighting a fish. Only drawback is; if you spike your rod, the clicker sucks. Using it for 3 years now wiht out any problems.

What is with so many folks getting old Penn BOAT REELS and wanting to use them in the surf?

Unless you are going to troll a clambrella, that is.

If you love slow retrieve, backlashes, weak drags, no parts, and a reels that are a pain in the @$$ to take apart and put back together, get a newer reel made for casting.

View PostWhat is with so many folks getting old Penn BOAT REELS and wanting to use them in the surf?

If you love slow retrieve, backlashes, weak drags, no parts, and a reels that are a pain in the @$$ to take apart and put back together, get a newer reel made for casting.

Oops, your right, boat reel. OP wanted to know about a 25, I thought he said 525redface.gifredface.gifredface.gif

View PostWhat is with so many folks getting old Penn BOAT REELS and wanting to use them in the surf?

i have used my old surfmasters and a squidder in the surf w/o problems. is this any different?

Very different. The Monofil is a small boat reel and it might be older then the Sufmaster and Squidder.

The cost of getting this reel powdercoated is more then it would cost to buy a genuine made-for-surf surf reel. Why bother? Keep it well lubricated - overgreased, even, on the gears - and clean it often, and it'll do well enough for the kayak.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I asked beacsue,I was planning on buying a squall, but i figured if i could make my 4 dollar reel work, i would. Looks like i will be buying the squall anyway.tongue.gif

The Penn 25 was introduced around 1955 or therabouts, so it's not older than a Squidder or Surfmaster. But it is a boat/pier reel. Not typically used for casting but you could cast it. In fact, the catalog describes it as "an especially smooth-casting reel with substantial line capacity". When I was a kid, I used a similar reel (the no. 9) and cast it all the time. There are better choices available for a casting reel though. That being said, it is still a good reel. No need to powder coat it or anything like that. It's a saltwater reel. And it's a Penn, from when Penn was Penn.

The penn 25 is basically the 155, the 26 the 160, and the 27 the 180. With a plastic (or aluminum) spool they should cast just fine. The ones w/red or brown sideplates are a nice change from penn black.