Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

Confused on Danny lip placement....

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

This will sound a bit dumb, but I'm not sure of the why's.....

Say I through drill my Danny so it's a straight line through and I place my lip slot above the hole instead of placing the lip slot center and drilling offset?

Does that make a big difference and when would you do this, if at all?

drill plug from rear to front belly hook hole only, on center. Then figure where you want lip to be on face and cut slot for lip. place lip in slot and mark where the lip's wire hole is on face of plug. take out lip and drill hole to match up with hole from rear meeting in front belly hook hole. It will be on an upward angle most likely. Use a hand drill for this. Pretty simple. Most tend to want Danny's to swim on top, me, so you will want the wire to be low on the face and that won't be on center.

View Postdrill plug from rear to front belly hook hole only, on center. Then figure where you want lip to be on face and cut slot for lip. place lip in slot and mark where the lip's wire hole is on face of plug. take out lip and drill hole to match up with hole from rear meeting in front belly hook hole. It will be on an upward angle most likely. Use a hand drill for this. Pretty simple. Most tend to want Danny's to swim on top, me, so you will want the wire to be low on the face and that won't be on center.

Right. I do that now, but I see some plugs that seem to have the lip placed really high and it looks like they through-drilled all the way?

yeah, to each his own. You will get different depths of swimming with the location of the wire. i think you should try one of each or 3 and see for yourself what you get and then you can decide what you are looking for . That is really the reason I or we build plugs so we can get something to do what we what. Not everyone fishes the same way or prefers plugs to act in the same manner. Half the fun, for me anyways, doing this is figuring out the answers, try it and you learn so much more than going on what someone tells you. . Nothing wrong with asking for opinions or help, I do it all the time, but still try a few different ways and see the results. I am working on a plug just today and I turned up 4 and will weight and wire each one different and hopefully one will meet my needs and i'll throw the other 3 in the wood stove. I just hope I don't throw 4 in the wood stove.headscratch.gif

View Postyeah, to each his own. You will get different depths of swimming with the location of the wire. i think you should try one of each or 3 and see for yourself what you get and then you can decide what you are looking for . That is really the reason I or we build plugs so we can get something to do what we what. Not everyone fishes the same way or prefers plugs to act in the same manner. Half the fun, for me anyways, doing this is figuring out the answers, try it and you learn so much more than going on what someone tells you. . Nothing wrong with asking for opinions or help, I do it all the time, but still try a few different ways and see the results. I am working on a plug just today and I turned up 4 and will weight and wire each one different and hopefully one will meet my needs and i'll throw the other 3 in the wood stove. I just hope I don't throw 4 in the wood stove.headscratch.gif

I don't mind testing and learning, but I would rather at least have an idea if I can before I end up wasting good wood and wire on something I could of avoided.

it would make a difference..it may want to swim more, less to keep it on the surface..the body will be behind the lip more and the line tie will be higher,most dannies that are sold are mid slotted and use the higher slot..i also have the most luck that waybiggrin.gif give it a try see if you like it, go from there..I've seen pikie and lefty lips in dannie bodys here on sol witch would probly make them a hybred dannie...but a true danny plug is midslotbiggrin.gif

View PostThis will sound a bit dumb, but I'm not sure of the why's.....

Say I through drill my Danny so it's a straight line through and I place my lip slot above the hole instead of placing the lip slot center and drilling offset?

Does that make a big difference and when would you do this, if at all?

Hi Mokes,

I've not tried a Danny yet, but from my experience of trying to get a conrad to work , then lip height and line tie location make a HUGE difference.

Seems the higher the lip, the less roll and more the plug dives.

From what I've read Dannys are supposed to roll some, which is why "blind" plugs with single colors were popular old school paint jobs.

Google "Bassdozer & Surf Plugology" and there is a brilliant article with lots of pictures of Danny Swimmers ( and loads of other stuff ) made by Danny himself. These should give an idea on lip and line tie positions. The article also gives tips on how to tune Dannys.

Good Luck - Lurch

Just a little note...bending the line tie loop up or down will also have an impact on swimming. Locate the lip where ever you want ...I like the center location with off center drilling...then try the line tie bending (slight).

the ultimate how to on a one hook Danny by a brilliant man can be found by Googling "plugmas". For two hook Danny's I like Mike Thomas's recipe. You want that sweet sashay about 1 to 2 feet under to get the bass hungry. You have to cut the slot first and then drill on the mark. Lots of good info on through drilling here. Can be a real pain but be patient and do not drill through your hand.

Regards

Puck

hey Mokes you got all the info you need from those above and your own exp. so i'll just offer this on wasting wire. i rig everything i build with tie wire during the testing stage.cut, drill, test- dont like it? fill the holes,recut-redrill try again. it's easy to bend you can use the wasted pieces for hanging lures you just sealed or painted and most importantly- it's cheap! less than 10 bucks a roll at homies.

I have been cutting slots above ,at and below center of face on some metal lips .

Lets say I make a batch of 10 plugs ,split 'em up to see how they swim

The up is down rule usualy applies .

Another big factor is the wire hole . some lips are made high and low .. try 'em both it makes a difference .

Then you can as already mentioned tune 'em by bending line tie up or down

Hooks matter as well

Some quick fix's on the fly would be chnage hooks big/small ,use split ring /not my favorites- dressed siwash -sexy swimmers

View PostI don't mind testing and learning, but I would rather at least have an idea if I can before I end up wasting good wood and wire on something I could of avoided.

Its only wasted if you don't learn something from it.

You know that I've never drilled a plug off-center? - because I drilled the holes before I turned them, and I found a way to get the plug to do what I wanted it to do, every time. There are so many variables that come into play that no single factor can't be worked around, and no single factor will force a result on its own, so while it seems like a good idea "to at least have an idea" before you start drilling, its impossible to know ahead of time what a high slot or a low slot is going to do on your unique danny, or which one is going to give you the sweet action.

Wood and wire are cheap.