Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gobi

Clothes Washer Stinks

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

So our not so old clothes washer stinks. It's got a moldy smell. We've tried washing w/ only warm/hot water, using some different types of soaps and nothing works. What's the likelihood that there's mold or something growing in it. Anyone have this type of issue and solve it? I don't want to have to buy a new washer, but it seems inevitable unless I can get rid of this smell. Thanks.

View PostSo our not so old clothes washer stinks. It's got a moldy smell. We've tried washing w/ only warm/hot water, using some different types of soaps and nothing works. What's the likelihood that there's mold or something growing in it. Anyone have this type of issue and solve it? I don't want to have to buy a new washer, but it seems inevitable unless I can get rid of this smell. Thanks.

View PostFill the washer up (w/o clothes) and add a good dose of bleach. Run it thru a complete cycle and it should kill any mold.

What he said.

Run bleach through it, then leave the top or front open to let it breathe and dry.

View PostFill the washer up (w/o clothes) and add a good dose of bleach. Run it thru a complete cycle and it should kill any mold.

yup, and just to be sure there is no left over bleach, run it again with your whites

I would also like to add if your machine is a newer front loader you should never keep the door closed unless you are running it. The machine is just too air tite with the door closed and will not allow for the moisture to escape thus then giving you that dreaded mold smell.

R.

View PostI would also like to add if your machine is a newer front loader you should never keep the door closed unless you are running it. The machine is just too air tite with the door closed and will not allow for the moisture to escape thus then giving you that dreaded mold smell.

R.

that's what I have, we ran a cup full of bleach thru it and now leave the door open all the time and it can dry out at least,

Yeah, we've not had much luck with avoiding the musty smell with front loaders (we've a front loader since '98). The bleach run doesn't seem to do much (our new Samsung has an outlet filter that you can access/clean - the bugs growing in there seem to make a biofilm, which is pretty resistant to a lot of things, including bleach). Leave the door open, and let some air in the laundry room is the best advice I can offer.

If it is a front load, it's a good idea to sponge up the water in the rubber ring around the door after a wash, that is where the most water collects and gives a musty smell.

I need to buy a new top load WM before they stop manufacturing them.

Actually, just saw a commercial the other day on this issue. I think it was by the makers of Tide....they make a special soap just for this problem with front loaders. It is not a clothes detergent, but somehting you just run on its own thru a cycle.

I have an older 1993 top loading and I had/occasionally have that problem.

I run bleach through it as well and that takes care of it. I also leave my top lid open always when it is not in use and that really helps. Really don't have much of an issue now.

Well, it's a top loader and we've used bleach, vinegar, many different types of detergent (even one from Europe or Australia...) and nothing is working. I did a search and have gotten a few hints, but there doesn't appear to be standing water anywhere. confused.gif

View PostWell, it's a top loader and we've used bleach, vinegar, many different types of detergent (even one from Europe or Australia...) and nothing is working. I did a search and have gotten a few hints, but there doesn't appear to be standing water anywhere. confused.gif

you may have a small leak somewhereconfused.gif check under, inside, and the associated plumbing.cwm40.gif

Front loaders don't drain all the way - there is always water sitting in them. That is why they recommend leaving the door open. Is it possible that a mouse died in your machine?