Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joesnextoy

conventional braid question???

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

looking for input from experience NOT what is your favorite braid

i've been using braid on spinners for 3yrs and this year i started using it on conv.

I want to know what braid do you use that works well on a conventional reel for chunking and what size(lb) ???

Well, I've been using powerpro since I started fishing which was 6 years ago. All of my reels from light tackle to heavy tackle, they are spooled up with powerpros from 20-80lb. I have only one conventional reel and it is Penn Senator 6/0. I spooled up with 80lb 500yd of Moss green powerpro and it does fantastic job for shark fishing.

Well I spooled the rest of the space with mono on top so I can't say I fully spooled the reel with braided line. But I wish I could put 100lb instead of 80lb. If I could've get bigger size braided line, I would've put 100lb.

I've been using 40lb PP on my Calcutta 400 and Penn 975. It's not bad, I should have gone a little heavier because you either have to load on the backing or use a bunch of braid to fill the spools just so I can drop a line 50 feet tops.

On a fluke outfit 30 # power pro

ON a black fish outfit 50 #power pro

Blues and BASS 40# Mono I don't like braid for this !!

As always you need some backing And a quality piece of leader at the working end.As far as what to use power pro or suffix they are both good.wink.gif

Sorry joesentoxy are you using these conventional on the surf or on a boat??? If from the beach disregard what is mentioned above I would Say no less than 50# no more than 80# that would be a good range for that application

I don't chunk. But if I did... and I decided not to use 25-30lb mono... then I would go with 50lb Cortland master Braid or Fireline 30lb.

Dragging my heels,cause I didnt want to go thru a learning curve, but I made the huge jump from mono to Power Pro on a calcutta this year.Found out instead of being any kind of deal,big or otherwise,instead of harder,if anything its easier to cast.

I plug using non levelwind conventionals. I use 50 and 65 lb test PowerPro. I used 65 because of it's thickness, but am sliding more towards 50 lb as I respool my reels. Too thin a line will cause problems with digging in.

There is nothing wrong at all with 30 lb Fireline, once it is broken in.

do not go light with chunkin braid. it will get chewed up by bein on the bottom and rubbin. sand, mussels etc etc. had way too many breakoffs when setting the hook with light braid while baitfishin. 30 lb fireline, 50 cortland masterbraid, 65 or better whiplash. Honestly, i think mono is way better for chunkin. started usin 50lb mono this spring, and wont go back to braid.

I use 50lb suffix for plugging with my Abu 7000.

I use 30lb Fireline (not braid) for plugging with my Abu 6500.

I really prefer the Fireline overall. The 50lb braid can be a real nightmare if you get backlash or digging in.

wow thanks for all the input

presently i am using abu 7000 and 9 cl and 6500 rocket, kept spooling the 6500 with mono soooo

all from the surf

i haven't gotten to plugging with a conventional yet ...........

this all depends on your application in Orient they all use salt pepper 80lb braid ...i like Stren sonic braid 80lb for 3 way bucktailing 43lb bass broken rod and the line still held up! fluke/ porgies 20-30 lb power pro or stren bass blues jigging 40-50 braid.... I just spooled my 7000 ABU with the Cabelas ripcord braid #50 and i think it is very good line for dimond jigging rarely knots up if it does easy to work with, easy to handle, good with knots, i like it !

View Postlooking for input from experience NOT what is your favorite braid

i've been using braid on spinners for 3yrs and this year i started using it on conv.

I want to know what braid do you use that works well on a conventional reel for chunking and what size(lb) ???

I have been playing with conventionals on and off from shore. I do like the power pro braid but when chunking or bottom fishing of any kind, you have the tendancy of building up sand within your slider rig or egg sinker which absolutely KILLS the line. Plus, if a fish hits (like big Tog) he is going to run straight for his hole and braid will last all of about 3 seconds in that stuff.

If I am going to bring a conventional to the beach to bottom fish, I will usually attach at least a good 20-30 feet of 30lb mono as a top shot that will be there just to take the primary abuse. The knot has to be tiny and that can be a pain sometimes when throwing but it can be done and that way you get the line capacity of braid and the abrasion resistance and shock protection you want from mono. Plus it is dirt cheap to replace once you have scraped it all up.

I keep the top shot of mono down to that length because I found when I am throwing, the knot seems to come out much better and with less jolts and pops against the eyes in that part of my throw. Yours may be different so if you try this, start with 50 or 80 feet first and cut it down from there. With mine, I found the sweet spot within the area I stated.

From a boat, braid all the way for cod, fluke, togs and bottom fishing - I love it for that - but from shore, you have to protect it with something. Unless you go up to some super high poundage which means more money and less capacity anyway.

I think the braid I have on my conventionals might be the 65 yellow Power Pro - I keep the 30 as backing on my spinners - again, I catch most of my fish within 60 or 80 feet of where I am standing anyway so I don't have the need for those 150 yard throws a lot of guys shoot for.