Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Littlefoot14

WTB Deer Rifle for 15yr old Hunter

21 posts in this topic

Hey guys (skip the story if your in a hurry, the details are right below it, I have a budget of about $250-300, maybe $350)

NYS says 14 and 15 yr olds can hunt this year, so im looking for a rifle. I made one fatal error with my summer earnings though, i bought the muzzleloader first redface.gif . I tried to tell myself i could just hunt through the season with the muzzleloader, but theres a problem with that. Apparently the coyote population decided to return to the area this season and every time ive seen them theyve been in a pack of about a dozen, with about 1/3 of the dogs pushing 45lbs. Because this is my first season hunting alone, my dad doesnt want me on watch with a single shot when the dogs are around. It seems like everytime i get on watch, guess what i hear running a deer? Then guess what else I hear? My old man telling me to pack it in. Im sick of 45 minute watches and i need a rifle.

Im looking for a reliable, quality, and budget rifle.

-30-06 is prefered, but anything around there is fine, like a .270.

-Must have a drop out clip, no top feeds please.

-Bolt action prefered

-A simple scope would be great, i dont have the need or budget for the top of the line Nikon scope.

-Synthetic stock or wood, doesnt matter.

Looking for brands such as Remington, Winchester, Savage, ect. Nothing overly fancy.

I have a budget of about $250-300, maybe i can spread out to about $350, but anything more and id be better off buying new.

Cannots:

Rust!

Overly noticeable scratches, i dont mind a couple minor scratches.

in your price range, and what you're looking for, get a new savage, it'l run ya about 400 scope included for the package and savage makes a nice rifle. if you're not interested in one of those (they can meet all of your criteria) i've got a ruger .44 semi auto (can't remember model#) that i'd possibly be willing to part with if you're semi-local (ct/ri).

Lukster- Thanks for the info. but im from upstate.

skip- Tell me about Savage quality! I loved my .22, and my dad has an -06 with the accutrigger, its a sweet gun. The only downfall i can think of is its wieght. It only wieghs like 6lbs and therefore kicks pretty hard. One of the guns i was looking at was the savage edge XP in camo. I have a friend whose a dealer and he said it would be about $350. The problem with the edge is that is almost impossible to put a scope on the gun because of the way savage drills their scope mounts. Even the scope in the package is hard to mount with proper eye relief. From what ive heard, even after-market mounts dont seem to help much. It doesnt apper that were in the same region, but i appreciate the offer.

View PostLukster- Thanks for the info. but im from upstate.

skip- Tell me about Savage quality! I loved my .22, and my dad has an -06 with the accutrigger, its a sweet gun. The only downfall i can think of is its wieght. It only wieghs like 6lbs and therefore kicks pretty hard. One of the guns i was looking at was the savage edge XP in camo. I have a friend whose a dealer and he said it would be about $350. The problem with the edge is that is almost impossible to put a scope on the gun because of the way savage drills their scope mounts. Even the scope in the package is hard to mount with proper eye relief. From what ive heard, even after-market mounts dont seem to help much. It doesnt apper that were in the same region, but i appreciate the offer.

definately go with a savage. at your age and assumed body, i'd go with a 7mm-08. plenty of power and bullet size, with less recoil than a .270. the scopes aren't that difficult to put on savages, and you could always get a different scope that will fit the gun well. also, you could have a gunsmith re-tap the barrell for your scope mounts at a very reasonable price.

Quit bickering, I'm 14 and I can't hunt at all, never have been able to. I would recommend an M44(Mosin-Nagant), available online for less than $100, or new from Greentop sporting goods for $100.

Mosin-Nagant shoots the russian 7.62x54r cartridge, might not want to get something that is not an easy to find or more traditional US caliber. There is also (well, there was, way back when I was learning and collecting) a sometimes problem with imported surplus foreign/soviet calibers having corrosive primers in the ammunition... needed special cleaning to prevent bore rust. Believe me, once you start shooting regularly, the price of surplus ammunition is very tempting compared to factory-fresh brand new.

You can often find interesting pieces at gun shops selling used rifles.

There are a zillion Mauser actions out there, and many have been re-barreled by previous owners into US calibers. Mauser actions are strong and reliable. I have found them re-barreled into .308, .30-06, .270 winchester, and (my personal fave), the very nice flat-shooting 7mm cartridge .280 remington.

Stick with .30-06 or .308 and you can get surplus ammunition and practice.

Can't hit anything if you don't get to learn how your rifle shoots, and you won't want to really practice at $30 a box of 20 cartridges.

And don't get lost early on in the ballistics of 600 yd shots, etc. How many of us stuck here in the eastern US woods take those long range, wide open wild west type of shots at whitetail? I often hunt with a Marlin Winchester 1894 lever action chambered in .44mag pistol. Great for 100 yard shots or under which is the kind of shot I get.

View Postdefinately go with a savage. at your age and assumed body, i'd go with a 7mm-08. plenty of power and bullet size, with less recoil than a .270. the scopes aren't that difficult to put on savages, and you could always get a different scope that will fit the gun well. also, you could have a gunsmith re-tap the barrell for your scope mounts at a very reasonable price.

I second the 7mm-08,great deer cartridge and it won't punish you with recoil.Also the .260 Remington and the good old .243.

There was recently a BST offer on a Ruger 6.5x55mm Swede. That is such a perfect round it's a bit hard to even begin. Light on the shoulder tap, easy to source quality rings and surplus ammo is actually quite good.

The northern Europeans use the round from predators to moose...seriously. It will reach out without reaching back HappyWave.gif.

Dutch

View PostThere was recently a BST offer on a Ruger 6.5x55mm Swede. That is such a perfect round it's a bit hard to even begin. Light on the shoulder tap, easy to source quality rings and surplus ammo is actually quite good.

The northern Europeans use the round from predators to moose...seriously. It will reach out without reaching back HappyWave.gif.

Dutch

Absolutely right.The .260 Remington that I recommended is based on the 6.5x55mm Swede.They are both fantastic cartridges.And practice is fun with a light recoiling gun.wink.gif

Thanks for the help.

pierfisherman- Noones bickering, and why would i take advice on a hunting rifle from someone whose never hunted?

Im not really interested in military rifles (mauser). I already have a Springfield 1903 in 30-06, and even though its considered safe to shoot b/c of the serial number, id rather keep that one a wallhanger. Im a bit larger than a regular 15 yr old, im 6'2'' and 155lbs, not really sure what that had to do with anything, maybe length of the gun.

Im really trying to stick with the 30-06 because its what my dad shoots so we can "share" ammo, its a familiar caliber, and ammo is readily available. The 7mm-08 is a good suggestion, one i should look more into.

View PostThanks for the help.

pierfisherman- Noones bickering, and why would i take advice on a hunting rifle from someone whose never hunted?

Im not really interested in military rifles (mauser). I already have a Springfield 1903 in 30-06, and even though its considered safe to shoot b/c of the serial number, id rather keep that one a wallhanger. Im a bit larger than a regular 15 yr old, im 6'2'' and 155lbs, not really sure what that had to do with anything, maybe length of the gun.

Im really trying to stick with the 30-06 because its what my dad shoots so we can "share" ammo, its a familiar caliber, and ammo is readily available. The 7mm-08 is a good suggestion, one i should look more into.

I think the height/weight was just a way to understand your physical ability to absorb recoil.

What I can offer by way of opinion is my all around favorite rig to look at. A Remington Custom Shop Mountain Rifle in 30-06 wearing a Leupold VariXIII 1-4x. I've been at this awhile and in the end; reminds me of painting. Brushstrokes are easy but preps a pain (in this case, literally). What I'm saying is the shot is instant but humping that darn rig seems like forever and we're talking something fairly easy on the scale.

The little Swede will do far more than what you need. So will the 7mm-08, 6mm Remington or, pending your skills and patience, the 243 Winchester are all more than capable. I favor the Remingtons because a competent smith can tune the trigger for all but bass and treble but in the end it's what you're comfortable with.

I had the good fortune to live and hunt N. America, Finland, Sweden and Alaska (air traffic control will move you around if you're so inclined wink.gif ) For game under 600lbs and given the extremely good bullets from Barnes, Nosler, then your usual big names, etc...don't weigh yourself down with a long action and relatively heavy rig.

Dutch

if your concern is the yotes and ya want a rifle that isnt a single shot and your saying a scope is or is not an option then you might want to consider a lever action gun. some used ones in your budget. 30-30 has killed a TON of critters over the years.

Nick

Yea, I check out the levers and maybe even a semi too. The reason I say this is some of them tend to more "compact" then the standard bolt action guns. When I first started shoot larger calbier guns I remember being imtimidated by the size of some of them.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0