Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThatSlyBasstard

Pencil Poppers and Spooks

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Picked up my first of each of these.

My question is how exactly do I fish them?

For the pencil poppers, do I fish them like I would a regular popper, with 1 or 2 pops, then 1-3 second pause, then pop again, or do I retreive them with constant reeling motion and constant popping?

As for the spooks, as far as I know these are walk the dog lures. I've never used a walk the dog lure in saltwater. How fast do you retrieve them, how fast do you walk them back and forth, how much slack line should be given, and do I just whip the rod tip one way, then back in the other direction? Should I keep the rod between my legs or hold it under my arm for this?

I'd really like some insight on these because I'm pretty much clueless so any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

A search brings up a million threads, and I can't really find what I'm looking for.

headscratch.gif

Generally with a pencil you want the constant eratic back and forth action (how fast this action is depends on how the fish want it) but with the spooks there are many different ways you can work them. Just vary you retrieve until you find which one the fish are keying on. smile.gif

For the Spook I find that they are a pain in the neck to work them right with any rod over 8'. It can be done with a 9' but any thing over that it gets hard to get the lure to work they way it was made to because the rod tip has to be close to the water. But that's just my opinion. May be someone will give advice on how to work it the right way with a 10' pole because i can seem to get it.

View PostFor the Spook I find that they are a pain in the neck to work them right with any rod over 8'. It can be done with a 9' but any thing over that it gets hard to get the lure to work they way it was made to because the rod tip has to be close to the water. But that's just my opinion. May be someone will give advice on how to work it the right way with a 10' pole because i can seem to get it.

If standing on a rock or jetty, wouldn't that solve the problem?

You have the two best topwater plugs in existence learn how to use both it is worth it. Try to scan videos on line or try to find a member that lives in your neck of the woods to demonstrate it live in front of you.Pencil takes some doing to get the hang of it and you must have the right rig to make the swim . good luck and dint give up

Something that I wrote up on working a spook. Basically I cast it out and start working it as soon as it hits the water. I prefer to work the plug with the rod to the side and slightly down. In current or with larger waves, this is not possible so you'll have to work the plug with the rod tip up. Same deal if you are using a rod longer than 9 feet. With a 10 or 11 foot rod I place the butt of the rod in my crouch like I would for working a pencil (I use a conventional), but keep my reel hand palming the reel. Simply put, the plug is worked by twitching the rod to get the plug to go side to side like a fleeing baitfish. The action can be modified depending on how quickly you twitch the rod, and whether you use short, hard twitches, or long, soft twitches. In either case, throwing a little slack at the plug after the twitch will allow it to glide side to side easier. Work the plug faster if you are targeting bluefish, slower if you are targeting stripers. Those are the basics.

Most often when I use this plug I am mixing it up somewhat. By this I mean, start the retrieve with a few quick twitches of the rod tip in a more aggressive manner, and then switch up for a few feet with a slower, more subtle rod tip action. I might also add a pause in the retrieve and let the plug sit motionless for a few seconds, and then start working it again. You can work it a few feet, pause it, then work it a few feet, pause, until the plug is the whole way in. The plug can also be slow waked on top to create a V-wake (sort of how you might work a stubby needle at night wink.gif ). The key is to mix it up during the retrieve. A lot of the hits will come right when the plug changes action. Since the plug is a topwater plug, you can watch the action and often see how the fish are reacting to it. If you see a fish following, but not hitting, try speeding up the retrieve for a few seconds like a baitfish that senses the predator behind it and is trying to escape. Stripers just hate that wink.gif Some days they want the plug just moving along at a steady pace, but most days it's the change up that gets them hitting it hard. Vary the retrieve to see what they want. Did I mention that mixing up the retrieve is good icon14.gif

Jigman

For pencil, I usually try a few different tactics:

1. put the rod butt down between your legs and and with your rod hand, grip the rod about shoulder height or so. Quickly whip the rod front and back while cranking the reel just fast enough to keep enough contact to let the pencil thrash like crazy on the surface

2. holding the rod parallel to the surface, sweep the rod back a foot to three feet. Reel up as you move the rod forward, repeat.

3. twitch, retrieve, twitch, retrieve,...

4. Anything else you can think of.

For spooks, I usually give a quick twitch of the rod, similar to working a popper, but immediately return the rod tip forward to give some slack. This lets the lure work like it should. Prior advice was good about short rods and low placed rod tip, but I find that even with a longer rod it's possible to get the lure to work well with a vertical rod when the lure is out toward the end of the cast. Lowering the rod tip helps as the lure gets closer.

I hope this helps.

Here's another way to work a Spook, I learned this from Ronnie Dietrich the originator of Coastal Bags. This won't work if your Spook is too bouyant.

Cast out, take up slack and point the tip down, dig the plug in, reel and jerk side ways about 3 count, 3times, stop, let the plug shimmy up to the top,. Repeat until the plug is on the beach hopefully with a fish around it.

If you've ever seen a dying baitfish, it kind of swims out of balance and then kind of drifts to the top to start the cycle all over again. I can't tell you how many vicious strikes come from this kind of retrieve.

Maybe you need to find your own. The other night I'm throwing a needle "Jameson" was nice enough to give me on the tip of a jetty last year. It's a heavy sinker type, nothing for a while and then I got into that Zen where the retrieve was auto and you could almost anticipate when the hit was going to come. The fish were all about the same size, but other than the structure there was nothing to indicate there were any fish around. I kept one for the kitchen. But it was a memorable night.

Pete