Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
126andy

Out of the Game

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I have a question for anyone here. The week before last I took a stress test, it felt like everything went good until my Dr called and said that he wanted me to go to the hospital to have an angiogram. In case you don't know that is where they put a camera into your arterie by your groin and run it up through your arteries to look for blockages and if they find any they do some stints to open them up.

I prepared myself for them to find something and have some stents put in or maybe for them to find something where I would need some valve work and I was okay with it. It turns out that there were no blocks and my heart looked good. The Dr there told me that sometimes the stress tests fool the Drs into thinking that something is blocked once in awhile but the angiogram was the Gold Standard and would tell everything.

Now since that is all over I just can't seem to get myself back into the game this Fall. I load the kayak onto my truck and get everything ready to go andthen I just wind up not going. I tried just loading my surf stuff and hitting the beach but never make it down fishing.

Anybody else have something like this happen to them as far as just not having energy to get going even though they want to and haow did you force yourself out of it. I don't know if I should just call it a season and start up again in the spring.

your not out of the game yet,

just had a physical this week,

first time i have seen a dr in 20 yrs,

while have no probs, when they hooked up that EKG, had me wondering and a bit scared.

i look at healthy elderly as role models,

i want to be that +70 yr old walking the beach,

not that 60 yr old with a walker and oxygen tank.

Sometimes, we all just need a break. Lately I've been exhausted and I'm only 38. Take a rest, try and be healthy this winter and pick up a hobby if you don't have one.

I sometimes lack enthusiasam in the beginning of the run ,but it seems the more I get out and fish ,the more I want to get out.Sometimes I walk four or five miles a day while fishing and the exercise gets me back in shape,and I have more energy to get out there and hit the beach.My advice, just get out there and do it.Even if you dont catch anything ,the exercise will do you good.

I had triple bypass surgery in 1998. When I got home, my doctor told me to get out and walk every day.

At first, I could only walk around the house before I was exhausted.

I walked and walked, and got up to about 5 miles a day.

My energy level has definitely increased since those days. I don't walk as much as I should at this point, but am still doing well in my yearly checkups.

My suggestion to you is to get out and walk. I think you will notice your energy will increase the more you do it.

Go to a NJ front beach, suit up, grab rod and plug bag and just walk and fish... This should help shake off your mental cobwebs a bit... The brisk airt and solitude of the late fall beach is always a cure fort depression for me. Not saying you're depressed but something is holding you back. Hey you might see a shooting star or even catch some fish... wink.gif

Me yelling at you.. "SNAP OUT OF IT!"

Goodluck,

ErikT

if you're that tired after gearing up to get in the surf.... you may need to build up your level of activity gradually or get back into fishing from easier locations, bulkheads, piers, jetty's etc... or just grab a big can of redbull like i do biggrin.gif

there also may be another reason for your lethargy... hypertension and several other conditions can cause long term fatigue like yours... if it continues you might want to look into it further....

good luck

I went for an echocardiogram and then a routine stress test and then a nuclear stress test. I was eventually diagnosed with an enlarged heart. I have been under treatment for something like four years. Meanwhile, my wife had an angiogram and a whole bunch of other tests and is on her second pacemaker.

My wife still teaches and I'm still working and we're both 64 years old.

That's the background. I'll leave my wife out of this for now.

I fish every weekend now because I am back to work full time. When I was forced to work part time, I worked three days a week and went fishing four days a week.

Yes, I felt tired and felt sorry for myself and had to push sometimes to get down to the beach but, when I surf fish, I am me. I have had tremendously good times and some very bad times when I was fishing. My wife had to come and get me off a jetty when my father died. And my son (who just turned forty) reminds me all the time about how I used to take the family fishing to catch the bite at dusk and how we used to eat dinner on the beach and watch the sun go down.

You can feel sorry for yourself and feel "tired" and give up or, you can get over it and take advantage of the life you have left to do what you love.

The angiogram is the gold standard. Trust me, after many years of cardiac care for myself and me wife, they mean it when they say it. If the angiogram cleared you, accept it and enjoy.

Get out there and fish and enjoy life. If you want to talk and need help to get over this, PM me.

I feel like that often, obviously you love fishing, sometimes you just have to push yourself to make the first trip and after that everything falls into place after you make the first trip, I plan to fish around 2x a week during the fall and sometimes it is hard to get started but once I go I then start to go as often as I can. Invite someone else along this way you have to keep your commitment to go and this should get you started. Hope this helpsicon14.gif I had 2 heart attacks and triple bypass and I am not going to let it slow me down, If I die fishing I will be happy. PS I am a little older than you get out there and fish

Andy,

Maybe you should check your diet .You'd be surprised how a simple diet change can make a Hugh difference. Also it may be a good Idea to start taking some supplements. Vitamins especially a good B-Complex. Great for an energy boost. Don't get in a slump. You worked all your life to retire & enjoy the finer things in life. Now's the time to do it!!

View PostSometimes, we all just need a break. Lately I've been exhausted and I'm only 38. Take a rest, try and be healthy this winter and pick up a hobby if you don't have one.

I have 2 hobbies: Motorcycles andd guns.

If one gets a little boring I switch to the other.

I've experienced that kind of thing before. I'm not certain if it was anxiety, depression or something else. What I do know is that the cure was to make myself go through the motions of doing what I wanted to do, even though I didn't feel like it at all!

Feelings and actions get associated in the mind, so sometimes actions have to lead feelings. Then, I believe, things will gradually get easier and feel better. smile.gif

Andy, w/o getting too personal and violating HIPAA laws, I hope you were discharged and given the proper scripts for meds, like statins, ARBs, beta-blockers, blood-thinners, etc. Please make sure you take them as instructed, for almost half of the folks in NYS & the nation often do not fill their 1st cardio med rx if given one, and for those that do, don't fill the 2nd.

Unfortunately, there is a correlation with such non-compliance and morbidity/mortality.

2nd, go fishing with a buddy or 2. Not just to get you out there, but for safety too.

3rd, agreed that a better diet/nutrition & exercise will help. If you can do it, consider going to cardio rehab, which any cardiologist or internist can refer you to. Might help with the latter to boost your energy.

And also agree that you may suffer from a little bit of the blues- what you're doing is great (opening up here), but keep at it and seek a pro if you need one!

You can take back your life!