Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheSpaniard

Setting the hook question.

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Ok, This may sound really dumb and maybe it is. I am used to fishing the beaches and in my experience bass normally just nail the plug or teaser, especially if the water is rough. The only reason I am setting the hook is to burry the hook. Normally The fish is already running away with the plug or teaser when I set.

Now recently I have been fishing some jetty's more and I am getting a lot of bumps with practically zero hook ups. I always thought bumps were fish just missing the plug or teaser but talking with another fishermen it seems like I should be trying to set the hook as soon as I feel the bump as the fish is inhaling my plug or teaser and then spitting it out. In my situation we're talking pond like water with a very very slow retrieve. I know I was getting some kind of hit because my Fin-S teaser kept getting pulled down the shank when I had the bumps but would be in place if I didn't get a bump. I'm used to fishing for weakies in the same way where you need to set the hook as soon as you feel the bump or they spit it out. Is this the same case? I'm driving myself nutz thinking about this.

Thanks, John

Many times when I was fishing from docks in NJ (work on tugboats) the bass would come up and hit it with their tail. I would try to set the hook and wind up scaring the fish away. Sat one night and watched how the fish would come up to the surface and slap the bait, stun it, then turn around and swallow it. Happens fast!

View PostMany times when I was fishing from docks in NJ (work on tugboats) the bass would come up and hit it with their tail. I would try to set the hook and wind up scaring the fish away. Sat one night and watched how the fish would come up to the surface and slap the bait, stun it, then turn around and swallow it. Happens fast!

Spaniard, I know what you're talking about. What I usually do it stop the retrieve immediately and wait for 2-3 seconds and give it twitches while pausing another 2-4 times. More often then not the fish will come back for it and usually strike again in the wash.

Do not continue the retrieve when you feel the tap, pause, wait 3-4 seconds, twitch, and pause for another 3, twice and pause for another 3 and then continue the retrieve back.

idk what you are experiencing john. when my stuff gets touched its a quick bump and if you don't set up and stick 'em instantly, they are gone. long gone. i think only the blues hit and hang on, then hook themselves actually. this goes for plugs, slugs, jigs, shads.

size matters in this discussion too. twinks you can burry the hook with your wrists. big fish require more work.

I'll be out tonight and I'm going to try and set on any bumps and see what happens. I'll report back on what happens. Hopefully I won't set without a fish and snag myself in the facecwm31.gif

Thanks, John

View PostSpaniard, I know what you're talking about. What I usually do it stop the retrieve immediately and wait for 2-3 seconds and give it twitches while pausing another 2-4 times. More often then not the fish will come back for it and usually strike again in the wash.

Do not continue the retrieve when you feel the tap, pause, wait 3-4 seconds, twitch, and pause for another 3, twice and pause for another 3 and then continue the retrieve back.

what he said above this takes time and practice to master

Before they cut the jetties in the areas where I usually fish, I fished the jetties almost exclusively. I used to experience the same type of bump, alot of times when I struck I would snag the fish on the side of the head or underneath the jaw. This was all on very slow retrieve so maybe the bass are being curious and haven't decided whether to eat this slow moving thing in the water or not.

When you getting lots of hits but your teaser is only getting pantsed it's usually fluke grabbing the tail and you're pulling it away.

Next time this is happening put on a Gulp sand eel as a teaser and give it a second to eat.

It could also be small stripers but you'll almost always catch at least a few of them. If you're getting none then I'm going with fluke (or possibly sundials, been lots of them around)

View PostWhen you getting lots of hits but your teaser is only getting pantsed it's usually fluke grabbing the tail and you're pulling it away.

Next time this is happening put on a Gulp sand eel as a teaser and give it a second to eat.

I don't think they were fluke or sundials because I was creeping a bomber/teaser on the surface over semi deep water.(8-10 feet deep). Also, the teaser didn't have any teeth marks which I normally get from fluke.

I didn't get out in any really calm conditions since this happened. The last time out we caught some fish but those fish basically hooked themselves. I got some whacks as well but nothing similar to what I had experienced when I wrote this thread. Maybe there were some shad around nipping the teaser? Never caught any in that area but who knows.....

View PostMaybe there were some shad around nipping the teaser? Never caught any in that area but who knows.....

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. My sluggo kept getting nipped. Finally, one of 'em hit the teaser and it was a hickory shad.

IMO..........some of those bumps are bait fish running into the line. Other times we've had fish miss a plug AND JUST BANG it but then come back to take it if you only let it lay like it was stunned......not every bump = A HOOK UP.

Thought of this thread today, I had a good hit, I applied pressure, nit a hook set. I had weight (felt decent) and head shake, then nothing. I got pissed at myself for not setting the hook on the fish and digging the teaser into something substancial. Oh well.

This was a few hours after and good pick up and weight then nothing came back, Everything was gone.

It can get worse than bumps without fish..... 12 hours of fishing this weekend and not a single bump.... I don't know why the hell I am foregoing lots of sleep when the fish are biting during the daybeatin.gif

John