Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

I'm Afraid to Look.......

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Just checked out Fresh Catch's on line ad, and I see that they got in the first of the Nantucket Bay Scallops.........but they didn't advertise a price......I can just imagine......last year they were upwards of $26/lb. eek.gif

Sim, I have never had the pleasure of cooking or eating Nantucket scallops....and I will some day I am sure, but in my opinion ya only live once, go for it and grab a couple of pounds if they are all they are cracked up to be.

View PostNah, I was out fishing this AM and just didn't have time to get to it......

Which explains why you're pricing scallops now instead of preparing fresh fish tongue.gif

View PostJust checked out Fresh Catch's on line ad, and I see that they got in the first of the Nantucket Bay Scallops.........but they didn't advertise a price......I can just imagine......last year they were upwards of $26/lb. eek.gif

Gee I wonder were they got those scollops from. Seeing the Nantucket scollop season for 2010 does not start until Monday Novmber 1st,2010.

View PostYou sure about that? This says 10/1.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/comme....htm#abstracts

If indeed it is 11/1, I will ask him today.

Towns may be able to set their own seasons and bag limits.

Bourne, for example, prohibits all commercial shellfishing on Sundays, and restricts certain areas to recreational-only harvest.

View PostTowns may be able to set their own seasons and bag limits.

Bourne, for example, prohibits all commercial shellfishing on Sundays, and restricts certain areas to recreational-only harvest.

That is why I asked if he was sure about that. Since I am not familiar with the waters that would be considered to have "Nantucket Bay" scallops, are they considered town waters or state waters? Seems if they are state waters, the towns wouldn't have much jurisdiction.

Which actually bings up another point.......I guess with harvesting quahogs and steamers, much of it is done above the low tide mark, so I guess that could be considered town property. But where exactly does "Town Property" end when you are harvesting fish from the ocean? (I am asking only because I am ignorant of the answer.) Or is it an issue of where you bring your catch ashore?

View PostThat is why I asked if he was sure about that. Since I am not familiar with the waters that would be considered to have "Nantucket Bay" scallops, are they considered town waters or state waters? Seems if they are state waters, the towns wouldn't have much jurisdiction.

Which actually bings up another point.......I guess with harvesting quahogs and steamers, much of it is done above the low tide mark, so I guess that could be considered town property. But where exactly does "Town Property" end when you are harvesting fish from the ocean? (I am asking only because I am ignorant of the answer.) Or is it an issue of where you bring your catch ashore?

Bay scallops are predominantly inshore--most are taken from town waters. And towns issue commercial shellfish licenses in Mass. I'm pretty sure that NMFS regulates sea scallop catches and seasons/trip limits, in addition to whatever state regs apply.

If you read down a little farther on the link you posted, you'll find this:

The taking of shellfish, eels and seaworms are subject to the control of the cities and towns. Consult local authorities for regulations and permits. However, the Division of Marine Fisheries has authority to regulate surf clams, ocean quahogs & shellfish taken from certain contaminated areas.

Sale of shellfish: To sell shellfish, an individual must possess a town/city commercial shellfish permit, a state commercial fisherman permit endorsed for shellfish, and a shellfish ID card issued by the Division of Marine Fisheries.

Actually, most commercial shellfishermen harvest from the water, not from land. In Bourne, they have to unload their catch at designated landing points. I know that the Monument Beach and Electric Ave. ramps are two of them. Plus, most inshore waters have defined town lines which are visible on charts. I'm pretty sure that a town-issued commercial shellfishing license is valid only in the waters of the town that issued it.