Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JTR

6 Month Old Yellow Lab Mix Puppy

7 posts in this topic

Let me start by saying that I absolutely hate to do this. I feel like I'm giving a child away, but it needs to happen. I rescued Boom (neutered) from CPR rescue out of Tennessee about 3 months ago. He is a really sweet dog (although he loves to nip at your pant legs as you walk by and he is definitely in the chewing/biting stage of puppyhood). He has been very happy and he is great with people.

The problem is that he is very territorial when it comes to other dogs. He is absolutely fine with our other chocolate lab, until the chocolate ends up wandering into my bedroom, which is where Boom sleeps/eats and spends a lot of time. He instantly becomes uneasy and has growled and bared his teeth at the chocolate on a couple of occasions. There has been one other altercation of a little more serious nature. My guess is that he really just needs to be the only dog in the house. I'm requiring that whoever adopts him is an experienced dog owner. He could also probably use some general obedience training. He also needs a lot of attention. He is by my side almost 24/7 and he really needs that.

Now here comes the icing on the cake... he is not 100% housebroken. He knows to go to the door, however if you are not by his side, then you would never know that he is going to the door. Before you know it, he is peeing on the floor. If you catch him, he stops right away and waits to go outside to finish. He also makes it all the way through the night without peeing, although I am up at 6 AM every morning and at that point, he usually HAS to go out. He is exponentially better than he was a month ago, so he is really improving. I'd say that he has probably 1 accident a day, sometimes 2. Anyone who has raised a puppy knows that this comes with the territory.

He is also somewhat crate trained. He is in his crate about 3-4 hours a day. He is usually fine, however if there is excitement in the house and he is stuck in the crate, he won't stop barking until you let him out. He wlso will not spend the night in his crate.

I normally would ask for an adoption fee, to weed out the crazies, but I think you guys are alright. If you happen to be a new member or a member who really has not contributed, please get me a couple of references from people on here who are significant contributing members or be ready to pay $100 adoption fee.

I have all of his papers, which include his vaccine, neutering and rabies papers. If you are interested, please feel free to PM me. I'm usually around a computer all day and I will get back to you to set up a phone call or meeting.

I've tried to be as honest as possible. I know that it may look like I am just handing off my problem, but that couldn't be further from the truth. He is by my side all the time and I am definitely attached to him. He is nice to 100% of the people that he meets and he loves attention. He just doesn't quite fit in with the family at this point and I really have no other choice here. It will definitely pain me to see him go.

Mass Humane Society isn't taking animals in, because of economic times. I REALLLLLLLLY don't want to have to give him to someplace that isn't a no-kill organization. The last thing I want is him being put down. I just don't have any other choices at this point.

Give me till tomorrow night I may have a person who will take the dog!smile.gif

They had a beautiful lab mix that they had to put down a few months ago, I think it's time for them to get another one.wink.gif

Contact the rescue where you got him. Most rescues have a clause in the adoption contract that actually prohibits you from transferring the dog to another person or shelter. Typically they want the dog back and they will look to rehome.

If that it the case, it will be easier for you and probably better for the dog.

thats defintly true about the rescue taking him back, the rescue we work with has that clause as well, they should take him right back no questions asked and at least you know he will be placed in a good home again

Thanks guys. Boom is NLA and is headed back to the rescue place in TN. He is being fostered on a farm, so hopefully they like him too much and they keep him there.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0