Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
egor61

rattler question

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

there is a question for you , gentlemen !... lots of lures ( esp. crackbaits ) are equipped with rattlers ...

do they help to make fish bites more often or do they hinder ?

pls, give opinion based on your own real experience !

View Postthere is a question for you , gentlemen !... lots of lures ( esp. crackbaits ) are equipped with rattlers ...

do they help to make fish bites more often or do they hinder ?

pls, give opinion based on your own real experience !

Yeah you catch more humans with them.

I only Plug for Pike, not Stripers, but IMHO no predatory fish will have grown big and strong if its half blind or almost deaf.

So no need for bright colors or rattles in clear water.

At best rattles won't deter a fish you would have caught anyway.

In both murky and clear water vibration like that given off by spinners and spoons definitely can attract fish. So adding a tail spinner or flaptail to a plug could help catch fish. But rattles produce higher frequency sound, rather than lower "vibration". I doubt rattles sound anything like a baitfish to a predator. IMHO rattles are just a gimmick to catch fishermen, at least for daytime fishing.

- Lurch

I'm of the belief that sound can be very important.

I caught a 37lb bass on a rattling spook at night. Explosion was amazing. I think it helps in less than ideal conditions.

If the waters like glass like sporty said, i'm not sure how necessary it is.

I have no experience with rattles but I have several plugs that could be considered noisy with the (unnatural) sound of hardware swaying and it doesn't seem to "bother" the fish.

I think it depends on the condition, the species you are targeting, and the lure you are using. For example, jerkbaits used for smallies. A rattle and foil on the sides produces better than a quiet bait with a suttle paint job. Take a look at a buzzbait, real noisy, and catch some good LM and smallies. Clear water, probably less use for a rattle. Stained water or night helps fish find the lure.

Jigman

View PostI don't know But I have friends who have told me They don't like rattles in there spooks when the water is like glass. I can see where they may help in Murky water

BINGO, i've had the same problem. Gin clear water, 1 to 4 feet deep and they seem to shy away. I throw a soft plastic and they devour it. Hopefully Mokes has changed this for me with his wood...umm...spook that is. cwm27.gif