Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

new Malware...System Defragmenter...

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Guys, just a heads up..

2 nights ago, I got a windows message box telling me my hard drive was operting dangerously low on memory, then one telling me the RAM was operting at 20%, etc.. I was awaiting the blue screen of death and breaking the laptop out waiting for the inevitable.. anyway, I reboot, get to google and look up "system defragmenter" and there is a new malware that seems to be out... you need to run a registry cleaner, and tons of other things to get it out.. I called Computer Associates (i have the CA security suite through optimum) and was on the phone with them for 3 hours but finally got the issue fixed. He also optomized my PC and it is now blazing fast..

anyway, beware for any pop up box saying your virtual memory is low, ram is low or hard disk is failing.. it will ask you to run a scan of your system, it looks totally legit.. then after the scan, they ask for $69.99 to buy thr product to fix this.. almost got me..bastards..

BC

This happened to my work laptop earlier this year--a real mess and it got past our highly secure system AV program. You have to download Malwarebytes freeware and run it. And no, they don't fix anything for the $69...all a scam for the ppl that pay them. You are out the $$ and still have an infected hard drive.

Thanks for the heads up, I am running Malwarebytes right now!

What's a pop-up and also what's an ad? Block those things and you'll have a lot less chance of viruses. Another thing is don't open attachments w/o scanning them first.