Favorite Oil and Favorite Oil Filter

Rate this topic

RegDunlop

Just wondering what everybody's favorite oil and filter are for their cars??

I was wondering if its worth it for the expensive oil filters?

I bought a fram filter today , and mentioned it to somebody and they said that fram filters are the worst, worse then the cheap filters they use at those 10 min oil change places?

So was wondering if tghere is a difference at all, or is one worth a ferew bucks more over another brand?

What about oil?

To me they are all the same, just get the proper weight. Also may be a differnvec between conventional vs synthetic but not brand to berand...I usually just buy whats on sale...I can not understand how they can be very different

I guess because the filter is something I could take apart with a hammer and saw I could see why one is worth more $$$$, but oil it all comes down to one company saying their molecules are better than another companies? I find that odd.

if we're looking for a shark we're not gonna find him on the land

there actually have been studies on this. google it. Cut a fram in half and you will see why someone made that statement. Compare it to a bosch or purolator. The media used and the seals used were the biggest complaints from what I remember.

I use Mobile One oil and filters and do all my own oil changes. 6 months or 5 K miles. Whichever comes first but do watch it and check it sooner and have on a couple of occasions changed it earlier than my regular time interval.

If I were doing a 3mo 3K oil change I would not use a full synthetic. Not worth the extra $ in MO.

Oil lubricates your engine and they are not that different when you compare them to each other but do I believe that some are better quality than others. And some I have even noticed a difference in the way the engine runs so there must be a difference?

Good luck with this.

For a normal aspirated car that doesn't see extreme conditions the difference between different oils less critical so you could follow the logic that oil is oil. In that case synthetic would give you longer service internvals, but the important thing to focus on is clean oil.

That logic does not work for cars with turbo's with drivers that don't follow proper warm up and cool down procedure, it doesn't work with cars that have known sludging problems.

There is difference between oil base stocks, and additives, and that is why there are different standards that the car makers specify.

Lately I have been using a full synthetic delvac in my Audi A4. I haven't been a fan of Mobil 1 for the past few years. They changed its chemistry and now it gets consumed more in my vehicles and I haven't been the first person to note this.

I have a question. Does one oil burn more then others?

I have been using pennzoil on my old integra. But at one point I used something else for like 1-2 oil changes. The oil that I pour out is a lot less (burned off). But when I switch back to pennzoil, I will get 3 1/3 quart back when I do oil change.

Driving conditions are all the same with 3 month oil change everytime.

In my 98 Subaru with 245000 miles I run Super tec oil and filter cheap at walmart

My Wife's 06 with 62000 miles gets tough Guard filter and Castro

For me its all about how long is it really going to last? the Rig not the oil all oil brakes down

Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after, If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

View PostI have a question. Does one oil burn more then others?

I have been using pennzoil on my old integra. But at one point I used something else for like 1-2 oil changes. The oil that I pour out is a lot less (burned off). But when I switch back to pennzoil, I will get 3 1/3 quart back when I do oil change.

Driving conditions are all the same with 3 month oil change everytime.

3 1/3 quart back how much dose it take to fill 4-5? 3.5 just dont seam like a lot

I have a buddy that bought a new Chevy 3/4 ton with the 5.7? (cant rember if its 5.7 or something else the big v8 anyway) he told that he put mobile one in it after the first 3 oil changes but found he had to add a quart after 1500m

Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after, If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

I have been reading up on this on GOOGLE, which , as noted above, is my friend.beers.gif

The HONDA OEM filter is apparently a FRAM regular filter painted blue, instead of orange. I was going to start buying HONDA OEM filters for my pilot , but I think this changed my mind.

On my Buick I usually try to buy a 'premium,' filter but one that is on sale.

Those of you that go to the dealer to buy OEM oil filters may be buying nothing but repackaged frams, so if it matters to you maybe you should look into it.

The FRAM ToughGuard (which is what I used last) is supposed to be MUCH better according to some, and the SOS as the fram regular according to others

Right now I am leaning toward buying MOBIL filters in the futuure, .....

also for some reason I think I read that Purolator filters are supposed to be very good, and that BOSCH filters may actually be made by Honeywell/FRAM.

Thanks for the input and contribution to all who posted or will post

if we're looking for a shark we're not gonna find him on the land