Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve Shoe

Weird Fish

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hi all. Haven't posted in a while what with kids in college, work, and now the Fall run. Anyway, while fishing at the Sore Thumb not too long ago the guy next to me caught a weird fish on a chunk. It was about 3-4 pounds, blocky shaped like a grouper, large dorsal, tail and anal fins all with 3/4" horizontal black & white stripes. The top of its back was a dark mottled color. Its head was flat on top with a large mouth with hundreds of very sharp looking teeth. Never saw anything like it. Some kind of tropical? Sorry, no photos. The fishing knowlege of you guys amazes me. Any ideas what the h*** it was?

Doesn't a kingfish have a pointed head? This fish was very blocky shaped with the mouth wide and straight across. Nasty looking teeth. I lost 3 cell phones so I don't carry them any more.redface.gif

GADABOUT,THAT'S IT! Sorry I haven't been around the last 4 days as I was upstate bow hunting. Awsome! I tell you , the knowlege base of this place is incredible. Thanks. Oh, and we unhooked it with extra long dehooker. Similar to pliars but designed I think with pike fishermen in mind.

I watched a guy nudge a stargazer back into the water a few weeks ago with his rod butt . I wandered over to take a look , turns out the fish had shocked him as he unhooked it . Said he was an eletrician and this fish zapped him as good as any 110v jolt he has ever had .