Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FinS 32

hey Tim, i have an idea

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I have noticed that in my year on this site, on this rodbuilding forum, once in a while we get someone looking to get a rod built. Unless they do research, or know a builder it is sometimes toughto get one done. Even if they do research, they can be missing some builders including myself who don have sites. So i was thinking, maybe there could be a commercial cutom rod building," looking to buy" forum,in the CBST. This way rod builders with businesses could get some more customers and other members will have an easier time finding people to build rods for them.

biggrin.gif

Outstanding idea. It would make things easy for those looking. There is an enormuos amount talent out here and it would be good to have a way to put those looking in touch with the builders. You could also searh the thtrads and get in touch with previous customers

You mean a forum where businesses can advertise for free and when someone makes a mess of someone's rod, I get to play police and alienate whomever I decide is responsible for the mess? Or when someone doesn't deliver a rod on time, I get PMs and emails? Or when there's any kind of problem and the person posts it online in that forum - and the business complains about the negative publicity, I'm expected to play Columbo, get in the middle of the mess, delete it and shut the unhappy customer up?

A place where anyone with a lathe and some loose guides can offer to build rods to sell to people? Where people can badmouth a builder and recommend their friend...and then someone can badmouth that guy and those two can then duke it out in public and make a gigantic mess for me to clean up where, no matter what, I'm going to piss off whichever one I deem responsible for the mess?

All for free? While it sounds like a great deal for anyone that wants free advertising for their business or new business or business they've been thinking about starting, lots more work with lots more potential for petty bickering and fighting for free really doesn't strike me as anything but a gigantic headache icon25.gif

I agree the present system does not work as, technically, anyone offering to build a rod for anyone on this site, via post or PM or email, is violating our non-commercial use of this forum. I started hashing out a per-rod commission arrangement with one builder to use the Commercial BST Forum to sell some rods he built already. I'm not sure how it would work with folks taking orders for custom rods, but I'm open to suggestions.

Side note: If anyone gets turned in for advertising their business or service or soliciting work on this site, like rod building, like any other commercial use of this site, I won't have too many choices as to what will have to be done.

TimS

Tim,

Would it be possible to have a sticky at the top of the rod building forum with a list of builders, their E Mail and their location. Then any business conducted would be between the builder and client away from SOL. Of course it will be prudent for the client to do their homework and find the builder suited to their needs.

"I'm sure you got a few more gray hairs when you saw this thread...LOL"

View PostTim,

Would it be possible to have a sticky at the top of the rod building forum with a list of builders, their E Mail and their location. Then any business conducted would be between the builder and client away from SOL. Of course it will be prudent for the client to do their homework and find the builder suited to their needs.

"I'm sure you got a few more gray hairs when you saw this thread...LOL"

Same thing, it would be advertising those businesses - this is a business, it takes money to run it, advertising is part of the way that money is obtained. We don't allow shops to advertise for free - or charter boats - or guides - or lure companies - as such, we can't allow rod builders to advertise for free.

And in reality, even something like a simple list would result in many of the same issues pointed out in my previous post - having to make decisions to remove folks from the list when people said they had a bad experience with them, having to get involved in the resulting dispute when the builder denies what the customers says, builders complaining when someone that doesn't have the necessary Tax ID information to be a business gets listed, etc, etc, etc.

There are good builders and bad builders, good businesses and bad businesses - any kind of list would require a lot of research to start and constant maintenance to make it a useful tool.

TimS

It does sound like a good idea but I cane understand tims point it can really create a mess.if. someone wants a rod to build there is plenty of pics in the wraps section where someone can find a builder with the style they seek.you can see a lot from the pics posted theres are a vast amount to talented builders.every one of them worked hard to build their name and brand. For the builders who need exposure. Or are new just have to put in the time build a great product and satisfy. The buyer and people will find you one way or another because you have built a name

View Post

Side note: If anyone gets turned in for advertising their business or service or soliciting work on this site, like rod building, like any other commercial use of this site, I won't have too many choices as to what will have to be done.

TimS

That's a tough one to police, lot of grey area. Builders advertise in this forum quite often.