Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Night Heron

Improving hook-up ratio with Texas rig

29 posts in this topic

I am wondering what helps some of you guys hook up with more fish when fishing Texas-rigged worms and stickbaits. I do just fine when I wacky-rig my baits, but I find that when I do fish a Texas rig, I just miss way more fish. This is why I fish wacky say 90% of the time, and when I do switch it up I find myself switching back to wacky! headscratch.gif

Depends on why you are missing the fish.

First off - what gear are you using? Rod/line/hook...

With a t-rig - don't set the hook as soon as he takes it... give it 2-3 seconds.

Also - you might need a heavier action rod/heavier line.. if you try to set the hook with a medium or med-lt action rod, it might not be enough to penetrate...

Just some thoughts...

could be lots of things...

I personally find that straight shank work hooks give me MUCH better hook-ups than offset shank. at least doubling my hook-up pecentage. if you draw a lineback from the eye of an offset hook, you can see it actually only have half as much "bite" relative to where you're pulling.

Straight shank meaning the ones that look like a regular oshaugnessy or aberdeen shaped hook, with the keeper barbs right by the hook eye, as opposed to the offset shank with the pair of 90 degree bends near the eye.

when you texas rig, make sure the point of the hook is as close to the surface as it can be without coming out. it shouldn't be buried deep in the middle of a thick plastic bait.

one trick I saw a whike back is to run the hook point all the way through and out, then back it in again, and repeat a couple times. this will loosen up the "path" for it to go through so it pops out easier on the hookset.

as mentioned, heavier tackle might be needed. UL gear with 4 # mono will not properly set a big worm hook, even if it is not texas rigged. I like 8 or 10# braid, some guys will go heavier still. the rod should be rated 6-12# or more as well.

if the drag is slipping on the hookset, then tighten it, that could be a factor too.

lastly, sharp hooks will help alot. with smaller hooks, the wire is narrow and even a dull one will set easily, but the bigger/heavier hooks need to be razor sharp.

could be lots of things...

I personally find that straight shank work hooks give me MUCH better hook-ups than offset shank. at least doubling my hook-up pecentage. if you draw a lineback from the eye of an offset hook, you can see it actually only have half as much "bite" relative to where you're pulling.

I have really debated going over to a straight shank but i really haven't had many missed hits with the EWG hooks. If you do look at the two you can definitely see that it should be easier for a fish to get hooked on a straight vs.'s an EWG. It's like the fish's lip needs to perfectly insert itself inside that small gap on the EWG. But again I really haven't had much problems with the EWG, especially when using a 4/0 or 5/0.

View Postcould be lots of things...

I personally find that straight shank work hooks give me MUCH better hook-ups than offset shank. at least doubling my hook-up pecentage. if you draw a lineback from the eye of an offset hook, you can see it actually only have half as much "bite" relative to where you're pulling.quote]

I have really debated going over to a straight shank but i really haven't had many missed hits with the EWG hooks. If you do look at the two you can definitely see that it should be easier for a fish to get hooked on a straight vs.'s an EWG. It's like the fish's lip needs to perfectly insert itself inside that small gap on the EWG. But again I really haven't had much problems with the EWG, especially when using a 4/0 or 5/0.

yea I tried those too, still not much luck. alot of my tests are on big pickerel, and they hit different than LMB. I think the LM is more likely to inhale it and turn, giving you the chance to get that circle-hook effect with the EWG. The chain picks ( and pike that I'm looking for among them) will slash sideways, so I need something that sticks quicker

Fish with the hook point either totally exposed or "texposed" lol with the tip just barely back into the bait... I never keep my hook point buried in the bait. Your hoop up % will go way up, much better than keeping it buried.

View Post

yea I tried those too, still not much luck. alot of my tests are on big pickerel, and they hit different than LMB. I think the LM is more likely to inhale it and turn, giving you the chance to get that circle-hook effect with the EWG. The chain picks ( and pike that I'm looking for among them) will slash sideways, so I need something that sticks quicker

I fish for bass on a local reservoir and thats what i catch on plastics . Try this . Like the post below dont bury the point but what I do is take a small pocket knife or another thin blade . Find the point where the tip of the hook will be dug in and put a small slice from there to the curve and you just raise the bait some . You can keep it weedless and still hook up .

icon26.gif Proper equipment is important....A rod specifically made for worm fishing is ideal(enough backbone to bury the hook in the mouth). I use 12-14lb mono, braid also works well. Sharp hooks are a must. Straight shank, EWG both work. The single most important thing is to keep the tip of the hook OUT of the worm. After the bite, wait a few seconds to set the hook.

View Posticon26.gif Proper equipment is important....A rod specifically made for worm fishing is ideal(enough backbone to bury the hook in the mouth). I use 12-14lb mono, braid also works well. Sharp hooks are a must. Straight shank, EWG both work. The single most important thing is to keep the tip of the hook OUT of the worm. After the bite, wait a few seconds to set the hook.

for me leaving it out at all will collect too much scum/leaves/twigs,etc in the weedy/overgrown lakes I fish. thats why the idea with running it in and out a few times, then leaving it buried works well.

I'm using a MH rod rated for 6-12# and 1/4-5/8, with ten pound braid and mono leader, so sounds like its not the gear that's the problem..but I'd be interested to hear what rods work for other people (specify rating).

But..I think I'll try switching hooks. I've been using EWG hooks 1/0 and 2/0, but the more I read the more I realize that may not be big enough for an EWG. Now that I really think about it the hook point on these EWGs is practiacally in-line with the eye. I will try the straight shank worm hooks and see if that helps. What size range would be good for these straight shank hooks (largemouth fishing)?

Just warning you, you WILL get a lot more weeds and snags if you dont use the EWG. With the EWG, you can texpose a bait while maintaining that it looks naural. With a normal offset hook, its impossible because they do not line up

EWG's are fine. Up the size to 3/0 or 4/0 and that depends on the diameter of the bait.

You want to reel up most, but not all the slack, drop the rod tip and then hit 'em hard.

Med hvy is like 14-20lb, and hvy 20lb-30lb. A rod rated 6-12lb is a med; don't over look the role that length plays. You can move a lot more line w a 7' rod than a 6'. My favorite worm rod is the Loomis MBR-844C IMX.