Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surffishingbum

How often do you guys change out your line?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

leave it. Ive had my sufix on my reels for coming up on 3 years, and it just keeps getting better. Id say only change it if you notice lots and lots of frays deep in the spool, or if you get really low from breakoffs, snags. Mine isnt even green anymore, its more of a slightly green white line now

i use green PP and i wait till it starts to lose its color. i use that as an indication and it will take around 2-3 years of spring/fall/summer fishing. but im sure the line will be just fine for longer.

With braid? Whenever I lose enough for my cast to start being affected.

With mono, I would often change after one good bluefish blitz.

Even though you dont have to, i change out two to three times a year.I like to keep 300 yards on my reels so when i get down around 1/4 past the spool lip i take off whats left of the braid , then i strip all the mono underneath and put about 250 yards of new mono on and then i put on the braid that i took off first it ends up being filled right to the lip.Just from doing it enough i can eyeball how much new mono i need to put on.When the braid gets down to under 175 yards i buy a new 300 yard spool.I know its far from efficient and there has got to be an easier way.

View PostWith braid? Whenever I lose enough for my cast to start being affected.

With mono, I would often change after one good bluefish blitz.

And thats usually twice a season. redface.gif

I put on a fresh 350 in the spring, and a fresh 350 right before the fall run. You don't wanna drop a pig cause' there was an unseen weak spot 40 yards into your spool. For me, it's not worth the heartache and self-questioning for 35 buck's....