Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fred H

Crawfish 2.0

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

That's some crazy tying/swiss straw magic! Been tying craws for smallies for the last couple of weeks. But mine look like overgrown brown stonefly nymphs....those are just too pretty to fish. Very nice drool.gif

Thanks guys . I'm traveling this weekend for a big tying event so it will be at least next week before I can put a step by step together.

Saltydog , I'm boycotting the sympossium . It use to mean something to be invited to tie there . Now they let these guys who are sculpting models and calling them flies from Europe sit amoungst tiers as if they are all the same. Some of these guys don't even bother to use hooks. It's just too far and exspensive to go and have my flies be compared to that garbage. By allowing them a platform amid actual tiers, it makes all realistics flies suspect .

If the sympossium one day gets back to showcasing fly tiers again , I would love to go. But as long as Chuck is just trying to get butts in the seats count me out.

Fred

Deesox , it's giving them creedence if I do. Most of the time the people judging these type compititions have never tied a realistic fly and judge the entry as wether or not it looks nice. They don't consider it fly tying either , but people like to look at them and it dosn't bother the serious competitors enough for them to speak out. To enter the Mustad or Tuscany all you have to do is submit a recipe with your entry .

Realistic fly tying as a genre of tying has become a joke and can not be taken seriously. They have a guy on facebook showing off his so called realistic seahorse flies . I f you look thru his photos you'll see how he sculpted play-dough and used glass paint to color them.( I'm not guessing this, he explains his process). Oh and he's going to Summerset to show case them. You'll see a lot of it there . You can't throw any of it in the water though.None of it was made to ever be fished . Hell most of them don't even have hooks. Now I don't have anything against art . And some of these guys do some cool stuff. But it's not fly tying. Why do they want to call it that?

And the Spain compitition you mentioned is a joke. The guy running it is doing it to promote himself . He argued with me on another forum that flies in his opinion don't need hooks. Then he displayed a bunch of molded creations on piano wire and said look at my flies everyone.The mantis on his compitition's site is a creation without a hook.kooky.gif And what would the winner get in this contest. A beetle sculpted and hand painted by this guy. Not a fair trade for a good fly.

Fred