Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rustyjigz

Pot and the GOP

Rate this topic

156 posts in this topic

I really want to here some views from the Right side, cause frankly I will vote to make it legal and I stand on the right side of all issues...smile.gif

I couldn't help but notice this on a cover of a magazine today.

I open it up and there it is, GOP and Pot...

I have always wondered why or how the hard right could want limited Government but go on and on about growing a department in the .gov that is one of the most wasteful spenders in our government in the last 30 years.

I am on the right but I believe Marijuana should have never been illegal.

I mean Corporations and lobbyist are a big part of the blame as to why Marijuana is illegal, they want to grow cotton instead. I mean why use Hemp that will lats yeaRS AND YEARS when ypou can use cotton and throw it out in a year or two.

I mean why help people eat while on chemo or HIV positive with a simple drug that will only help these people, when the pharma companies want to give them synthetic **** that doesn't help in the least and just causes more harm then good....

Here is 2 pictures I took from the mag-

I like your take on the legalization issue. However, whenever I think back to "Pot and the GOP", I envision the republican's hero, Ronald Reagan, actually declaring the "war on drugs."

when i see those that claim they use it for medical reasons,

they all look like well Pot heads regardless of whatever condition they claim to have,

also, they have made Marijuana without the High effects, and guess what? nobody wants it,

not exactly clean cut myself,

smoked my share years ago, thankfully never really got hooked on it, didnt like the paranoid feeling.

as for govt waste, am still against Govt waste,

part of the waste on war on drugs is hap hazzard enforcement,

spending millions on criminalizing it, yet, when it comes to local level, no one wants to pay for enforcement.

View PostI like your take on the legalization issue. However, whenever I think back to "Pot and the GOP", I envision the republican's hero, Ronald Reagan, actually declaring the "war on drugs."

Thanks, but I have a few issues with my friend on the right. This one has always above all bothered me.

Trust me I am a right winging conservative, but jusyt a few things makes me irate about the things they do or even wth they do them in the first place...

View Postwhen i see those that claim they use it for medical reasons,

they all look like well Pot heads regardless of whatever condition they claim to have,

also, they have made Marijuana without the High effects, and guess what? nobody wants it,

not exactly clean cut myself,

smoked my share years ago, thankfully never really got hooked on it, didnt like the paranoid feeling.

as for govt waste, am still against Govt waste,

part of the waste on war on drugs is hap hazzard enforcement,

spending millions on criminalizing it, yet, when it comes to local level, no one wants to pay for enforcement.

Terasec, see I don't care who smokes it, I say puff puff pass!biggrin.gif

I will say that criminalizing anything drug related is retarded. If someone wants to get high let them. I believe in personal responsibility.

See I don't believe in prisons either, if someone gets high on crack and gets behind of a wheel of a car and kills someone, well that person should be put to death end of story, no task force for drugs, no prison cells, no court, no anything like that.

The more you say don't the more the people will... It is and always will be human nature...wink.gif

I'm not going to spend too much time on this but here is my "right" point of view. Legalization will make drugs more accessible to our youth who are currently struggling in terms of education, motivation, ability to compete globally. Just as you probably tried your first cigarette or beer from your parents stash, the same will happen with drugs. Even the California experiment has turned into a joke with so called "doctors" giving out prescriptions for every ailment under the sun.

If we can't protect our youth then what's the use of having a country in the first place?

If you set an age limit, you will still spend billions of dollars policing underage smoking, especially when we have both parents working longer hours to make ends meet.

I don't see anything good from legalization, just downside.

View PostI'm not going to spend too much time on this but here is my "right" point of view. Legalization will make drugs more accessible to our youth who are currently struggling in terms of education, motivation, ability to compete globally. Just as you probably tried your first cigarette or beer from your parents stash, the same will happen with drugs. Even the California experiment has turned into a joke with so called "doctors" giving out prescriptions for every ailment under the sun.

Nope, sorry, do not agree at all with this one. It way easier for a kid to get weed now then it is for them to buy booze or tobacco due to the restrictions placed on smokes and booze. the corner drug dealer does not have restrictions. wink.gif

View PostI'm not going to spend too much time on this but here is my "right" point of view. Legalization will make drugs more accessible to our youth who are currently struggling in terms of education, motivation, ability to compete globally. Just as you probably tried your first cigarette or beer from your parents stash, the same will happen with drugs. Even the California experiment has turned into a joke with so called "doctors" giving out prescriptions for every ailment under the sun.

If we can't protect our youth then what's the use of having a country in the first place?

If you set an age limit, you will still spend billions of dollars policing underage smoking, especially when we have both parents working longer hours to make ends meet.

Not for nothing, but pretty much everyone in this country that wants to smoke weed is smoking weed already. Supply isn't stopping them.

As for the youth, ask a high schooler what's easier to get their hands on - a sack of nugs or a six pack of beer? You'll pretty much get 100% sack of nugs as the response.

As such, not much would change with legalization other than bring the black market out of the shadows. Minus well legalize and tax it.

View PostNope, sorry, do not agree at all with this one. It way easier for a kid to get weed now then it is for them to buy booze or tobacco due to the restrictions placed on smokes and booze. the corner drug dealer does not have restrictions. wink.gif

Bullseye.

I understand your logic, now riddle me this, In Amsterdam out of 100% of pot smokers in that country, only 10% of it's citizens smoke it. The other 90% are foreigners!wink.gif

This is from a country where it is legal. I have been there a few times and watched as families who grow Marijuana harvest it with children of all ages, you know a family farm.

It is there oranges, so why are those children or any of those children in Amsterdam all strung out like you suggest?

Just so you know, yes I know for a fact that when these drugs become legal cause they will, it will be a love fest but it will be a fad, because after a while it loses many peoples interest because it doesn't have that bad boy look to it anymore.

I will bet you my bank account and that is a good chunk of change that if legalized and all prisoners were released who were put in jail for possession and or distribution, you will see the population of inmates drop by 40%.

I don't know about you but to me thats waseful spending. Hundreds of Billions of dollars have been poured into this and it's even worse now...wink.gif

I agree with The Dude above.

It is funny to me that a plant that has been around for thousands of years just started being a problem in the last 60 years since it was made illegal.

There are no stories I have heard of societies hitting the skids because the citizens were all stoned. Some humans will all ways find something to give them a buzz. Some won't.

All the prohibition does is make criminals of other wise semi-productive members of society.

Legalize it and allow a certain # of plants per adult. Sell permits to growers who will sell to licensed distribtors, there's an assload of $$$$$$$$$$ to be made for both the grower, distributor and the f'in government.cwm40.gif

legalize it. There is no justification for keeping it illegal.

As long as tobacco, alcohol and a constant flow of feel good pills approved by the FDA is legal then mary jane should be as well.

hippies gave it a bad name by acting like such fools but they are all fading away these days

View PostI understand your logic, now riddle me this, In Amsterdam out of 100% of pot smokers in that country, only 10% of it's citizens smoke it. The other 90% are foreigners!wink.gif

This is from a country where it is legal. I have been there a few times and watched as families who grow Marijuana harvest it with children of all ages, you know a family farm.

It is there oranges, so why are those children or any of those children in Amsterdam all strung out like you suggest?

Just so you know, yes I know for a fact that when these drugs become legal cause they will, it will be a love fest but it will be a fad, because after a while it loses many peoples interest because it doesn't have that bad boy look to it anymore.

I will bet you my bank account and that is a good chunk of change that if legalized and all prisoners were released who were put in jail for possession and or distribution, you will see the population of inmates drop by 40%.

I don't know about you but to me thats waseful spending. Hundreds of Billions of dollars have been poured into this and it's even worse now...wink.gif

Let me just stop you right there. It is not legal in Amsterdam, they decriminalized it and even that has been abused. Also, we are not Amsterdam. There are many factors that could come into play with those numbers such as how much a parent stays home and there to watch over their kids. I know of very few single earner households here in the US.

I don't know of anyone who ever went to jail for minor possession of MJ. I have spent many overnights on the sidewalks of MSG waiting to buy Grateful Dead tix and everyone was smoking pot without a single arrest and plenty of cops around. BTW no one was doing it for the bad boy image. Most of the prisoners with sentences related to MJ were handed a lesser charge as part of a plea deal for other crimes or cooperation in connection to other crimes. The cost of the war on drugs won't stop unless you legalize ALL drugs. Is that what you want? And even then you will still have to police the underage use of it.

Finally, you are not going to bring it out of the shadows because the number of underage users is currently so large. Corner drug dealers are still going to target the youth and there will always be a black market for it.