Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striper fiend

pro angler

23 posts in this topic

I bought mine new in 2009. First tried transporting it on Yakima racks on my Chevy Silverado......thats was a ***** because it is so heavy and awkward! Long story short, for ease of transport/loading and unloading I bought a trailer this past spring and I am happy I did. Mind you I am 6'5" and 300 pounds and I can handle the size and the weight but it was just too damn much trouble! Other guys can and do load their PA's on car tops and SUV roofs....but Gawd bless em'! I ain't getting any younger. Something for anyone to consider when buying a PA.....go lift one up before you buy it!

Talking with my local dealer, he recommends a trailer. It's just easier. After fishing all night I'm not in the mood to wrestle a yak into or onto the truck.

View PostMan that sucks!, needing a trailer for yer yak...might as well be towing a boat.

You are towing a boat ........ Hobie doesn't call it a Yak ........ they call it a boat

have a 14' tarpon 140,

is quite a bit of work,

i have a small SUV with roof basket and Jbars,

even when i manage to get it up, to damn high to reach the straps to get them over,

1 thing i do to make it easier with Jrack,

i loosen the rear J rack,

from the rear of the vehicle

lean the kayak up on to it,

lift and slide it into position,

and guide it as the front comes down onto front Jbar,

getting the straps over is still an ordeal, but at least hardpart is done,

and also, be carefull on windy days,

not so easy to maneuver a +14' kayak as the wind is blowing it off the roof.

View PostWell thanks for clearing that up icon14.gif

Yeah ......... was clear to me the 1st and last time I put it on the roof ......... Bought a PU truck and picked it up yesterday so it should get much easier .......

View PostMan that sucks!, needing a trailer for yer yak...might as well be towing a boat.

Ratty trailering it is not that bad......and its very worth it! The PA is awesome! Plus if I have someplace I want to access without a trailer....I got the wifes Outback I can load on the truck!!highfive.gif

View PostYeah ......... was clear to me the 1st and last time I put it on the roof ......... Bought a PU truck and picked it up yesterday so it should get much easier .......

Did u buy that pickup just for your PRO A?