Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trahsub

Water depth at RMSP

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Without asking too much detail (Demo is no secret around here, who are we kidding), but in general, is there any deep water out on the point in casting distance? The shoaling seems to have made everywhere so shallow I'm not sure if I'm getting into depth of more than 3 ft. . .Just curious.

Saying "in general at the tip of demo" is as specific as one can get and is an oxymoron as you say general and then follow up with a specific spot, furthermore I don't think we discuss specific spots on this website. Just because it is "well known" doesn't mean you cannot burn a spot. Keep telling yourself "It's no secret it's well known", when you read someone took large at demo, then see how many trucks are there the next day.

An easy way to determine depth would be cast out a sinker at slack and count how long it takes to hit bottom. Do the same in a spot you know the depth of, pier or dock, and estimate.

View Postwell its quite comical watching guys throw chunks in 3 feet of water...yes its shallow...

You know as well as I that many large fish have been landed in water less than that.....

Carlos

This forum would be much better if the "spot burn" police knew how to identify a spot burn. Example:

"Caught a cow at Demo point using SS yellow bullet on Monday"- Spot burn

"Anyone have an idea of water depths at Demo, seems pretty shallow all over"- Not Spot burn

The sinker method is a nice tip, thank you.

IMO water depth means very little. Stripers are masters of the shallows. I have had one skunk in 4 weeks or more. The majority of the fish have been coming out of water 2-4 feet, and many right up against the beach riding the waves in a foot of water.

It is not depth you should be worried about, it is structure, which there is little of right now at the place in discussion. Each time I drive through I see very little structure on either side and wonder why everyone is there, I assume just waiting for a passing blitz. I do not even wet a line without structure.

View PostIMO water depth means very little. Stripers are masters of the shallows. I have had one skunk in 4 weeks or more. The majority of the fish have been coming out of water 2-4 feet, and many right up against the beach riding the waves in a foot of water.

It is not depth you should be worried about, it is structure, which there is little of right now at the place in discussion. Each time I drive through I see very little structure on either side and wonder why everyone is there, I assume just waiting for a passing blitz. I do not even wet a line without structure.

Last season there were large bass on the backside in less than 3 feet of water swimming between our legs. Water depth means nothing. Most of my fish are caught at the lip of the beach anyway. Retrieve ALL the waywink.gif

I was casting eels last night with the wind behind my back...was launching them 60-70 yards....all my hits were 10 yards in front of me...so I just started lobbing them about 20 yards...all fish in just a few feet of water

Yes, the "back" of Demo is extremely shallow this yea. A couple of years ago you could take a BM Cowboy during a raging outgoing, bend the eye up and horse it down into the depths and never once feel bottom (and that plug runs DEEP with the eye all the way up). Not now frown.gif

I fished there a lot this year and I can say its shallower this year than in years past. You can walk out and cast to the bouy west of the point, end of out going couple weeks ago. I don't think asking about water depth is a spot burn anywhere, especially at demo.........

View PostI fished there a lot this year and I can say its shallower this year than in years past. You can walk out and cast to the bouy west of the point, end of out going couple weeks ago. I don't think asking about water depth is a spot burn anywhere, especially at demo.........

no but im pretty sure telling people about a bar at the end of the tide and where to cast does qualify as onecwm13.gif

Spots exist that bass fins are above water because its so shallow and they like it in this spot. Not gona say my spot but its not RM. Just saying its very possible to find fish in 3ft of water very possible.