Broken Fly Rods - A poll!

Rate this topic

TimS

I'm trying to figger out if there is perhaps something flaky with the Trident blanks being a lil shatter-happy. To do that, we'll need to know what other rods have just 'sploded under normal conditions. I'll go first biggrin.gif

First fly rod I 'sploded...a 5 year old Power Matrix 11wt - now I'm not taking all the blame here, shouldn't an 11wt be able to swing a 5lb fish 3 feet onto a dock? eek.gifredface.gif

Second, the replacement for that rod, 11wt Trident...I busted the tip (my fault redface.gif) trying to free the last of my big popper from the rocks one afternoon when the bass were clobbering these poppers in a nice rough mullet-laden surf! My bad.....but I did get the popper and caught more fish even without the last 6 inches of the rod biggrin.gif

Third, same rod, after the repair, my bad again. Next jetty south from where the prior 'sploshion happened. In the midst of a mullet/striper/popper maelstrom one October afternoon, hawkin' wind, I was heaving the same big poppers in the prior incedent. I had landed about a dozen keepers, maybe 20 bass in all, in a couple hours...massacre conditions...but rough! Well, in my haste to get a decent keeper closer to me than the water, a wave snuck up, grabbed the fish, and pulled really hard...I had the line pinned to the blank trying to keep from having to fight that fish all over again....BOOM! My bad again.

Next one, 9wt 9'6" Power Matrix rods make terrible spearing whacking sticks, my bad.

And the recent one above...which is, in fact, the very first time than an Orvis stick has 'sploded under what I'd deem normal conditions...not my fault...well, at least one time it wasn't my fault! redface.gif

Let's have 'em, what rods have 'sploded inexplicably? Which ones have you 'sploded through questionable judgement...like whackin' spearing?

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Tim,

I have broken three rods in four years.

1) Orvis Power Matrix 8wt while trying to roll cast out of a snag on the Salmon River.

2) Thomas & Thomas 8wt was broken when stepped on by a spin caster.

3) Thomas & Thomas 7wt by me casting a spoon and having it wrap around the tip.

The last two occurred out side of Jones Inlet in rough seas last November. I now stow the Rods up under the gunnales.

All rods were repaired or replaced by the manufactures for the cost of postageand work as good as new.

Freedom

Tim, I have never personally broken a fly rod ...though my daughter had a 12' 8wt T&T turn into a 4 pcs on her while casting. I have to assume she "clousered" it on a previous cast.

T&T had the rod back to me in 10 days good as new.

broke my sage rplx 10 wt twice. both times my fault, both times they replaced no cost. I also broke it tryig to swing fish up to where I was standing. yes you can normall apply that kind of pressure, but you change the angle of the rod as you lift, and you are putting the stress on the tip section. the lfting power is in the butt.

[This message has been edited by JohnP (edited 05-24-2000).]

Tim,

Thank the Lord for GURANTEED wink.gif

Mike wiped out his sage, 4 times I know of, HIS fault. Taken care of by Sage, No problem in short order.

ME redface.gif, well, I tripped and snap the top off the sage... Repaired toot sweet.

The scott redface.gif, well pulling line off the tip I aciddenly snap the tip off. Taken care of, no problem.

Then a strange thing happened.. While Mike (my son) was casting it one evening the bottom furle disinagrated frown.gif

Scott took care of it no problem but,looked like a better style of furle was used. Done right quik also I might add.

If anyone out there is wondering what rod to purchase in the future, my Honest advice is ONE WITH A GOOD GUARANTEE, cause accidents DO happen wink.gif

Walt

------------------

Swfly99@cs.com

[This message has been edited by Swfly (edited 05-24-2000).]

Have yet to S'plode one...but I had to have the tip of my 2-piece St. Croix l.u. replaced because I was holding the rod together in 2 pieces and started to pull line from the reel. Wore a nice groove in the blank before I realized what happened! they fixeed it free of charge. Good thing I sent it back..because while I was preparing to ship it I noticed the tip was CRACKED too! DougC

Tim,

I always blamed overpriced fly gear on yups and "the movie". I was wrong. I want you to know that you are single handedly keeping hundreds if not thousands of working stiffs like me from owning an Orvis Trident.

'Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.' Mark Twain

Plug.....You are cracking me up!!! smile.gifsmile.gif

But there is definate truth in your words....Fly rodder's DO pay for 2 or more rods on initial purchase. This does keep a lot of people out of the fly fishing faternity.

I do salute St Croix and their Ultra Legend series rods. Full warrentee at the price of a good spinning or casting rod from Breakaway or Lami.

This thread is rather puzzling! No one has even mentioned breaking a G. Loomis rod. Every other informal poll I've seen concerning broken flyrods has always been won by G. Loomis. I mean it was never even close. In fact in most of these 'polls', G. Loomis was the winner by at least a 5 to 1 margin.

I guess the other companies must be catching up to the G. Loomis technology.

Never had one break on me...but after reading this post, I have the sneaking suspicion that I have been jinxed and my luck is soon to change. Thanks alot Tim wink.gif!

To date, I own a 9# Orvis (S.L.) and 10# GLX.

p.s. I have a 10# GLX and to date have had no problems. I did, however, see a good friend of mine snap the top 6" off his 8# GLX while just doing some false casting with a small epoxy fly. Disturbing to say the least when you have decent sized Albies crashing bait at your feet!

Have kayak...will travel.