Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wader-dad

AVA jig retrieve question

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I am coming from CT and going to fish IBSP in 10 days and have my AVA jigs and teaser rigs set up. I went the past 2 years and am not sure I have the correct retrieve. Do you drag the jig along the bottom. try to swim it near the bottom, reel in fast, stop and start, jig it as you are reeling in fast- or all of the above?

I know I don't have it right. Thanks

all of the above. mix it up and see what the fish want. i have caught on all and none of the above mentioned retrieves.

i think my "default" retrieve would have been a moderate retrieve to keep it a foot or two off the bottom with twitches/jigs/hops every couple of handles turns without stopping the retrieve.

A lot of it also depends on ther surf conditions. Sometimes the surf is so kicked up (like whenever I come down....redface.gif) that about the only option is to reel very fast, otherways you cannot stay in contact with the lure.

Fish are like us...sometimes they like them in blonde and sometimes in brunette. Try fast, slow,bottom up...and don't expect the fish to tell you....just be flexible...

last time I fished avas there was such a strong sweep, I just cast and never reeled as it bumped along the bottom. Worked pretty well.

View PostIf the surf is rough and ugly..use a 4 ounce diamond.

Always need one in the bag...

How do you rig that? Like a fluke rig?

Never mind I was thinking pyramid sinker, not diamond jig.redface.gif

View PostLow and slow.......works like a charm

View PostFind the right weight that allows you to tap the bottom. You're trying to imitate a sandeel, which swim, bury and swim. I try to fish it like a bucktail, and it workssmile.gif

Follow this and be confident that you are doing it right.....Also....Unless there are too many bluefish around.....a sandeel teaser 2 feet or more above the jig is a productive combo when the sandeels are in the water.

Good Luck and enjoy!!!

All great tips for sure...I also like to use the Bio-Edge scent sticks and rub up the metals with them to get some scent in the water. They have Eel, Bunker, Clam, worm etc...great selection and the stick fits in your surf bag, just don't confuse it with your chapstick!

View PostFind the right weight that allows you to tap the bottom. You're trying to imitate a sandeel, which swim, bury and swim. I try to fish it like a bucktail, and it workssmile.gif

I am trying to figure this out myself, I have a small selection of metal po-jee, ava, thex, spoons about 6 total. I was thinking to myself last night that i need to have a range of weight for every situation but i am not about to start a metal collection.

View PostI am trying to figure this out myself, I have a small selection of metal po-jee, ava, thex, spoons about 6 total. I was thinking to myself last night that i need to have a range of weight for every situation but i am not about to start a metal collection.

In AVA's I keep 007's which are 1 1/4oz, a 017 which is 1 3/4 oz, a 027, 2 3/4oz and a 047 which is 4oz. I keep 4 007's at all times. A white, red both Tubed) and then two that have some custom tail hooks (Green and Yellow) that were tied by a member and I won at LY's fling. (Sorry can't remember his name).

Mostly I use the 007's and when I need some distance I'll go with the 27.

I can't remember the last time I used the 47headscratch.gif , but it's in there. Hope this helps a little.smile.gif BTW, You ring Church Bells?

I ring peoples bells, lol. No it's a charachter from A fist full of dollars. Just metioned once in the begining. For a short period of time as a kid i did ring church bells but that is not where the name comes from. My ava is a47 and it hides in my bag, I will pick up a lighter one.

The problem is when you come home with the skunk you start over thinking what went wrong. Should i run out and get this or that. Some times you have to accept the fish were not hungry or maybe they were not there.