Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Parrot6909

Need opinions on Honda

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I have the opportunity to pick up a new to me boat. Boat is a Wellcraft V21, motor is a 2004 Honda 150, almost 500 hours on the engine. I know 4 strokes are quieter and more fuel efficient, just wondering if there are any trouble years on the Honda's or anything to be concerned about.

no real "STAY AWAY" years that I have heard about. You might be a bit overweight, and under-gunned on that V21, with the 150. I have a V20, with 1999 Yamaha 150 2-stroke, and I max at 40 mph at 5100 rpm. The 21 is maybe 500-600 lbs heavier, and the motor is probably 200 lbs heavier, plus added gas. I'd say that with that Honda, you'd probably do 36mph WOT, 30 cruise, which will slow ya down a bit, and might sit stern heavy. I would not want more than another 100 lbs on the back of my V20.

All that can be figured out on test-ride. See where it sits with noone aboard, concerning the scuppers. Have the motor compression tested, and leak-down tested. Both tests, together, will tell you a LOT about the condition of the motor. Just as a guide in comparison to what I paid for mine, I would expect that boat to be in the 8-9k range. If you can get it for that, I don't think you will be disappointed, except for a few mph at cruise and WOT.

Chief,

Compression test will be done. She has a little more weight in her then what you listed as well. Up on the bow she has a Minn Kota Riptide with a remote steer (that will be nice for running the 37 and Mantoloking bridge, heck, even the canal) with dual deep cycle batteries and an onboard charger under the cuddy floor. The guy who has her now says that on the GPS she does 44, cruise is at 32. We shall see. Freshwater boat, no bottom paint, garage kept. Boat does need some work cosmetically but structurally its a rock. Motor is on a jackplate too. Can't go wrong. drool.gif

Being my first entry into the 4 stroke market was just curious. i haven't really found anything online. The computer in the head was changed out under warranty in 2007. All receipts for motor work, professionally maintained by Honda dealer.

Parrot - I got a Honda 130 4-stroke on my boat - quiet and great on fuel. Highly recommend it... I've got some minor corrision problems with mine, nothing has failed, just getting a little rusty (steering arm in particular). Have heard others mimic this concern as well. Other than that, no problems/issues.

Thanks Zig, I appreciate it. She's a freshwater motor as of now and garage kept so here's to hoping no corrosion!

I am quite excited to get into a 4 stroke, especially with my current motor being a very very smokey 2 stroke.

I've got an '01 90 hp with carbs which are finicky-hope yours is EFI. Ditto the steering arm comment, mine has frozen up 3 times. Strongly suggest that you lubricate every trip. I use CR 656 on the reccomendation of a Honda tech

I have an 06' 225hp (bought in 07') and it runs like a top. No problems whatsoever (yet). I have about 600hrs on it. The only thing you will need down the road is a valve adjustment. You will know when it is time when the motor runs rough in the lower speeds. It is a pricey tune up. Probably in the high $700-800 range. Other than that it is a low maintanence engine. It is a dog out fo the hole and top end ain't so great either BUT for reliability and dependability it is tough to beat.

HC

Older WellCrafts are notorious for having scuppers that fall below the water line when heavier motors are installed. Originally they came with 115hp/130hp carbed power. With the added weight of a 4stroke plus some rain in the belige = trouble.

I've got an 84 V20, with a 150 yammi commercial 2-stroke, and without people, they are fine. However, you put 2 people in the back, def. underwater.

I don't know if the V21 was any different, they were almost 10 yrs newer.

I have a 1995 honda 50 with carbs but have had no issues. I use the stabil stuff and it seems to work well for me. I bought the motor from a commercial guy and it is still running strong.

I have a 22' bay type boat with a 1999 130 Honda with well over 2500 hours that I've owned for 5 years. This was the prototype engine of the larger direct injection four strokes. I have corrosion on the arm aswell but she's still there. Hardly any problems except some with fuel that I let go bad over winter. This particular engine had a recall with the block on some engines cracking. Honda would replace the block for up to TEN years if mine failed. Never did, never got it changed. I bought it second hand. The guy before me took care of it. She's got power but I could use more. You will be fine with a 150. Heard good things.

Only problem I see is weight as I could have got a 225 carb two stroke for the same weight but would have been on my second or third by now and about 100 times more fuel.

I'm about to go buy my first Honda car now. Picking up the Pilot this afternoon with a 250hp. Would be nice to see that in an outboard.