Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Fresh Mackerel

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Right now I can get my hands on some very fresh, locally caught mackerel. Have never really eaten it, other than smoked (and I plan on smoking some tomorrow).

But would also like to give it a go another way......thinking of doing it on the grill as I would a bluefish.

Opinions, other suggestions?

(And yeah, I know, many will say "blech" and make the usual jokes, but ya have to remember, Donna and I LIKE strong tasting, oily fish, and both LOVE bluefish, even larger ones....wink.gif)

Fresh mackerel is my absolute favourite when fried. I use some spices...cumin, chilli powder, salt, pepper and lime, lightly marinate the fish and then fry...no batter. Make sure to slit the fish on its sides, to let the marrinate penetrate and also to cook faster and more evenly.

Goes great with rice.

If they are fresh from the water (less than 48 hours) and were kept cold and never frozen, it's hard to beat breaded and fried on a sandwitch. Everyone told me mackerel is gross -- my guess is that they either never ate it or never ate it fresh. I can't eat bluefish or anything like that, unless I am trying to induce vomiting.

The blood line does get a little strong, but if you remove part that is closest to the tail, where it is thicker and wider you should be good to go. It is a great fish to eat, preapared in any way as long as its really fresh and you remove that last section of blood line towards the tail. As a rule of thumb the parts of the fish that move back and forth the most (tail sections) are the worst meat and the parts that move the least (just behind the head) are the best.

double fillet (the bloodline area also has bones so I just got of it), bread, fry.

That's what I did w/ a few biggish ones one year which were caught while cod fishing and we loved it....even more than the cod cheeks. It has a sweet taste that's flavorful too. Way better than sushi mackeral that is always pickled and people think that is fresh mackeral...kooky.gif

View PostSpanish Macks? If so, on the grill or in the frying pan. I use blackened seasoning, and finish with a lime wedgedrool.gif .

No, Boston Macs........

Not that I don't LOVE Spanish Macs.......

Charcoal grilled, cut a few slit in the sides, salt, and let them cook until the skin gets a little charred. Top with a mixture of olive oil, lemon, mincec garlic, and oregano when theyc ome off the grill..

Grilled...marinate for a couple of hours with fresh oregano, orange zest, and red pepper flake. Salt and pepper, skin side down on the grill until the flesh is 95% done and the skin is super crispy...plate skin side up so as not to lose the crisp and the flesh finishes cooking.

Thanks folks.........if they are still available, will pick up a few more, and then run the various suggestions by the boss......

In the meantime, a couple are going on the smoker in about an hour, once I get it fired up.....