Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
g2h

What's the difference between a 704 and a 704z?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Other than the obvious color change? What are the differences? Were both of these available at the same time or did the black one replace the greenie? What's the black one have that the green one doesn't?

The 704 was the greenie, replaced by the black and gold 704z...Everything in them is interchangable..Pretty much a matter of which one you like...

The only difference to even talk about is that since the mid-90s, until they were discontinued, the Zs had a stronger, machined spool. The greenies and the early Zs had a cast spool.

The machined spools are all gold and like every other part on a Z, they'll fit a greenie.

View Post704z looks alot nicer and stronger. Its like an old fashion looking Penn SSm spinning reel

I'm no reel expert but besides the z's spool how's the z stronger than the greenie? I have both if anything I'd say the greenie is stronger all greenies come with a metal sideplate most z's didn't with the exception of the earlier ones. But other than that the housing, the rotorcup (with the exception of the indentation on the z's cup) and all the and internal parts are identical.

View PostThe greenies and the early Zs had a cast spool.

In addition to what Ditch says, I believe all of the early Zs with the cast spool were black spools rather than the anodized aluminum.

View PostIn addition to what Ditch says, I believe all of the early Zs with the cast spool were black spools rather than the anodized aluminum.

Well, considering that the spool on my first green 704 has almost no paint left on it (from grinding sand out of the cup), and hasn't yet shown a speck of corrosion, if they weren't anodized, Penn used some other very effective means of corrosion-proofing on them wink.gif

Yeah, it's cool how much more easily sand clears out of the rotor cup once all the green paint on the base of the spool and the inside of the rotor cup is gone. I saw some corrosion on it once (in the '80s, I think) but some steel wool and a touch of Turtle Wax cleaned it up has prevented any further corrosion. Lon Wanser was right when he said it would last forever! wink.gif

View PostYeah, it's cool how much more easily sand clears out of the rotor cup once all the green paint on the base of the spool and the inside of the rotor cup is gone. I saw some corrosion on it once (in the '80s, I think) but some steel wool and a touch of Turtle Wax cleaned it up has prevented any further corrosion. Lon Wanser was right when he said it would last forever! wink.gif

The gold comes off the new spools, too. biggrin.gif That was the beauty of the 704s--get some sand in there, turn the handle, grind it out, keep fishing icon14.gif

to Z or not to Z that is the question. whether it is nobler to suffer the ridicule of VS owners or keep fishing with one of the best American reels ever made, or fall trap to the call of the elitist. The Z and the greenie are IMHO are the best reel ever made. why Penn stopped production to try to follow the folly of VS and ZB is beyond my understanding. (mind you I have bent to the Penn/Staal calling). But then this is just my opinion.

View PostThe gold comes off the new spools, too. biggrin.gif That was the beauty of the 704s--get some sand in there, turn the handle, grind it out, keep fishing icon14.gif

Imagine that!

Those 704s were lathes too!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

View PostI'm no reel expert but besides the z's spool how's the z stronger than the greenie? I have both if anything I'd say the greenie is stronger all greenies come with a metal sideplate most z's didn't with the exception of the earlier ones. But other than that the housing, the rotorcup (with the exception of the indentation on the z's cup) and all the and internal parts are identical.

I do not own any 704 reel. But I said "It looks alot nicer and stronger" I never guaranteed the performance. Right? smile.gif