Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DeepBlueSea

egg sinkers or pyramid sinkers...

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

heavy current, 10' to 20' water, not so rocky area...

8oz sinkers baiting striped bass, line 80lb PP...

egg sinkers without FF or pyramid sinkers with FF...

which one is better and why...

thoughts and reasoning...

thanks

DBS

1) area is not rocky, but Im casting from some altitude biggrin.gif

2) yep, bought some from cabelas

DBS

View PostPyramids hands down. Current would cause the egg sinkers to roll. 2 other thoughts come to mind. 1)Why 80 lb. PP? 2)You can find 8 oz. egg sinkers?

I use both depending on the conditions. I also use tiny beads above and below the fishfinder or egg (with tiny holes) to reduce the amount of sand that will build up inside the sinker or FF and wear on the line or abuse my knots.

I also only use mono as my main line backed with 30lb PP (for more line on the spool) when bottom fishing but I fish some very rocky areas so I need the extra abrasion resistance.

If you are getting too much movement from the eggs, sometimes it is good depending on the resilience of the bait you are using but when it gets to be too much, just switch over to the pyramid for better hold.

I like using eggs when I WANT to cover more area with my bait to keep them on the bottom yet cover a little more ground as the current moves it.

When I want it planted, a pyramid and ff is the way to go.

View Post

I have a powerful setup, sometimes big fish dives under, thinner than 80lb braid and its gone...

1) area is not rocky, but Im casting from some altitude biggrin.gifPlanning on swinging the fish?

When you visit Hamburg PA Cabelas location, make sure you visit the Bargain Cave section, sometimes very good prices there...

2) yep, bought some from cabelas Ouch, that must of cost you.

liked the ideas, thanks for sharing

DBS

View PostI use both depending on the conditions. I also use tiny beads above and below the fishfinder or egg (with tiny holes) to reduce the amount of sand that will build up inside the sinker or FF and wear on the line or abuse my knots.

I also only use mono as my main line backed with 30lb PP (for more line on the spool) when bottom fishing but I fish some very rocky areas so I need the extra abrasion resistance.

If you are getting too much movement from the eggs, sometimes it is good depending on the resilience of the bait you are using but when it gets to be too much, just switch over to the pyramid for better hold.

I like using eggs when I WANT to cover more area with my bait to keep them on the bottom yet cover a little more ground as the current moves it.

When I want it planted, a pyramid and ff is the way to go.

I fish piers a lot. Pyramid, use what your rod will load up well with. In real strong current a pound will not hold but the bait will find a resting place.

80 pound braid is good, 25 pound mono OK too, I use Hi Seas Quattro 25pounds.

Egg is good for real rocky area or boat fishing real rocky area.

One pier some guys even use Hatteras style sinker cause current is so strong.

Stripers like current.

Good Luck

Jay

View PostPyramids hands down. Current would cause the egg sinkers to roll.

But is that really a bad thing headscratch.gif the biggest stripers I have ever landed or hooked into all took my offering with a light sinker that rolled in the current. There is a time and place for everything, especially if you're talking a beach with strong waves coming in, unless you want to recast every 30 seconds, but I always do better with bass and blues when there's a roll to it. Might be where I fish, but I'd try both to see which works better.