Boston Baked Beans

Rate this topic

dogboy

Who else actually still has a bean pot?

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

View PostWho else actually still has a bean pot?

i see them at yard sales now and then

i have my mother's, but she didn't use it much

the lady down the street from us however made them quite often

and the lady across from her made excellent whoopie pies

two doors down from her was the lady who made the best oatmeal cookies i've ever had

View PostWho else actually still has a bean pot?

I have one from my M-I-L. There's a cracked piece missing from the top and I fill it iin with Al foil when I make beans.

Been following and working with Dogboy's "original recipe" here for a couple years and there's not a lot I'd mess with. I didn't have a lot of luck in the bean pot, so... I salted the beans in the soak, rinsed, cooked in a Dutch Oven on the stovetop, and put them in the oven for an hour and a half or so at 250. Drained them out and saved the water.

Mixed everything else up just as prescribed and they were the best batch of baked beans I've ever had or made.

Not a New Englander, but the other half is from up there, and she likes them..a lot.

Got a winner there.

View Post

Been following and working with Dogboy's "original recipe" here for a couple years and there's not a lot I'd mess with.

it's a traditional recipe

there are some minor variations i've seen here and there

my wife doesn't like beans (except puerto rican style)

i had to stop eating the batch i cooked sunday

it might take a few days to return to normal

View Postit might take a few days to return to normal

Been there.

We use my grandmother's bean pot just for baked beans, thing must be 80 or 90 years old. Wouldn't be the same if you didn't cook a full lb of beans in it but it's usually just two of us.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

View PostBeen there.

We use my grandmother's bean pot just for baked beans, thing must be 80 or 90 years old. Wouldn't be the same if you didn't cook a full lb of beans in it but it's usually just two of us.

my neighbor loves them, so i have an outlet for any surplus

This is my old time New England family's Baked bean recipe, although I would never use that much sugar. This recipe is from Lucy Brattleboro, VT from about 1950.

Vermont Baked Beans

1lb yellow eye beans

¼ cup maple syrup

½ cup white sugar

1 tsp dry mustard

1 ½ tsp salt

½ tsp black pepper

1/4lb salt pork

1 small onion, whole

16 oz boiling water

Soak beans overnight in water. When ready to assemble combine syrup, sugar, salt, pepper, and mustard w 16oz boiling water. Add the mixture to the pot along w the onion. Cut slices crosswise (like a cube steak) in the salt pork and lay on top of the beans. Bake for 6-7 hours at 275º F.

See you on the big one.

• 3 years later...

Thanks guys.

This thread is just what I was looking for.

I got a 2.5 qt stoneware. bean pot for Christmas. I made my first batch in it yesterday. I used the recipe that came with the pot.

Instead of salt pork, I used leftover ham from Christmas dinner. I used navy beans. For dinner tonight, I laid a thick slab of ham on top of whole grain toast, and covered it with the beans. Homemade coleslaw on the side.

Next time I'll try the small white beans and double smoked bacon. :drool:

RIP JM
RIP GH

Yeah, Dogboy hasn't been around for 3-4 years now.....I miss his contributions....:(

Jut checked, he was last online in June of this year, but his last post was in here was in May of 2011.....he posted a bit in the PG up until April of 2012, then disappeared.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

My wife and I have a bean pot that was her Grandmothers, Instead of Boston Backed Bean's I prefer Dutch's' Wicked Beans.

I'm sure we all know what site it came from.

WICKED BAKED BEANS

(Beans that will even make Chili Heads happy)

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares

1/2 Medium onion, diced

1/2 Bell pepper, diced

1 - 2 Jalapeno Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)

1 - 55 ounce can Bush's Baked Beans

1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained

1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed

1 Cup ketchup

1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard

Sauté bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Sauté onion, bell pepper and jalapeno pepper until tender.

In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 - 3 hours (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160° ) or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour.

NOTE: If you are making these beans as a side dish for Kansas City style pork ribs, smoke the removed skirt meat for 1-1 1/2 hours, then dice the skirt meat and stir into the Baked Beans.

DISCLAIMER

With the Jalapeno pepper and the dry mustard these beans have the potential for some MAJOR heat. CAUTION should be exercised when feeding these beans to small children and/or the elderly.

To make this recipe Family Friendly, omit the Jalapeno pepper and the dry mustard.

My wife and I have a bean pot that was her Grandmothers, Instead of Boston Backed Bean's I prefer Dutch's' Wicked Beans.

I'm sure we all know what site it came from.

WICKED BAKED BEANS

(Beans that will even make Chili Heads happy)

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares

1/2 Medium onion, diced

1/2 Bell pepper, diced

1 - 2 Jalapeno Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)

1 - 55 ounce can Bush's Baked Beans

1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained

1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed

1 Cup ketchup

1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard

Sauté bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Sauté onion, bell pepper and jalapeno pepper until tender.

In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 - 3 hours (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160° ) or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour.

NOTE: If you are making these beans as a side dish for Kansas City style pork ribs, smoke the removed skirt meat for 1-1 1/2 hours, then dice the skirt meat and stir into the Baked Beans.

DISCLAIMER

With the Jalapeno pepper and the dry mustard these beans have the potential for some MAJOR heat. CAUTION should be exercised when feeding these beans to small children and/or the elderly.

To make this recipe Family Friendly, omit the Jalapeno pepper and the dry mustard.

Those sound great!

I like things on the spicy side myself. I will try them but with fresh pineapple instead of canned, and I'll use dried beans instead of Bushs and I'll have to lighten up on the brown sugar.

I really love Bushs beans, but I've cut out processed sugars from my diet. That was the reason I asked for the beanppot in the first place. :D

RIP JM
RIP GH

I use Bushe's orig beans, when I use country style I also cut back on the sugar. Not supposed to have any but hey once in while you just have to.

When I make them, I'll probably add a can to the pot just for kicks. The Green label Bushs (onion) are my favorite. :drool:

RIP JM
RIP GH