Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Finland

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Brother sms' appearance reminds me of a question.

I understand that Finland has some great pike fishing. Some of it is in water that's brackish? Are pike tolerant of brackish waters? I'd read that somewhere, but would like to know if it's true.

View PostBrother sms' appearance reminds me of a question.

I understand that Finland has some great pike fishing. Some of it is in water that's brackish? Are pike tolerant of brackish waters? I'd read that somewhere, but would like to know if it's true.

They have HUGE Brown trout there as wellwink.gif

And yes the water is a dark brown - but clean - Cold too

Its a fun place to visit, but I would not go there just to fish...

They also have some real nice rivers to fish.icon14.gif

I actually just came home from a day of sea trout (sea run brown trout) hunting. Blanked and only saw one. The water was nice and clear (easily saw the bottom at three meters), maybe 10 miles East from the Center of Helsinki. Huge potential, but overfished and spawning rivers are not in good shape. In some parts of Baltic side of Sweden, there is good numbers and good sized sea trout. Same goes for Denmark.

Arctic Char we do have, in Lapland (Northern part of Finland).

Pike are on their edge of salt tolerance in the Baltic. Thus they are more prone to get tumors. But, they do get big. And there is plenty of them. Fly fishing for them is getting more and more popular. Pike fishing in the Baltic is probably the best fishing to be had in Finland. Best is just around spawning in the spring and now when the Pike are preparing for winter and eating their hearts out. Pike fishing grounds have usually muddy bottom and thus the water is not that clear.

We have 60 000 lakes in a country size of Florida and most of them have Pike. Fortunately in Lappland there are lakes which dont have pike so they grow Arctic Charr.

This is a thread of 65 pages where we discuss Pike flys:

http://www.perhokalastajat.net/kesku...9526&start=915

And this Pike forum:

http://www.perhokalastajat.net/kesku...forum.php?f=33

Yup, I'm a Finn and live in Finland. Just outside the border of Helsinki (capital city).

In Lapland there is also good salmon, brown trout and grayling fishing to be had.

A search for KVARKEN WORLD HERITAGE SITE reveals some interest facts and pictures. The picture, below, is from the Swedish side, I think.

Reaux

Pretty definite that me and the bride (first generation American of Finnish parents) will be visiting Suomi next July. She still has a number of relatives there who she keeps in touch with.

What are the licensing regs, and do they have short term licenses (if necessary) available?

The first thing you need for sport fishing is that you have to pay the government fee. Either for one calendar year or for one week.

Then, if ie. pike fishing in normal lakes or in the Baltic, you need to get the district license (calendar year or week). Finland is divided into 6 districts. This license does not cover special permit places (most rivers or rapids with salmonids or stocked lakes etc). If you only fish the special permit places, you don't need district license.

In July, the waters are warm and rivers are low. So, fishing is not hot at that time of year. Unless you're going to the North. In south, you can still have fun with smaller pikes that tend to stay at the shallows the year thru. If the summer has been cold and rainy, then river fishing can be decent too.

There is a fantastic blog on the net called "Pike Fly Fishing Articles" run by a chap called Simon Graham who is a guide who lives out there... great guy and I'm sure he'd help anyone wanting to fish over there...