Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
recycled

Cape Lookout Question

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I am new to site. I am thinking about going down to Harkers on the 7th of November but have never been. Does anyone have any recomondations on a place to stay or a place to stay away from? Am I delusional in thinking that I will be able to find a place to stay near by this late in the game? If there is nothing available on Harkers is there some place near by that I should look into? We are towing down a 23' Jones Brothers so I would need a place that is boat friendly. Thanks in advance.

Chad

View PostHarkers Island Fishing Center

Unless they've done some major remodeling in the last two years, HIFC would be my suggestion of a place to stay away from. Showers that only dribble, toilets that barely flush toilet paper, kitchen sinks that leak water all over the counter when used....We stopped going there two years ago because it was getting too run down.

We started renting a house for the week in Atlantic Beach. It was about the same cost as the two rooms we used to rent for a week.

View PostUnless they've done some major remodeling in the last two years, HIFC would be my suggestion of a place to stay away from. Showers that only dribble, toilets that barely flush toilet paper, kitchen sinks that leak water all over the counter when used....We stopped going there two years ago because it was getting too run down.

My kinda place. Keeps you fishing longer. biggrin.gif

I got in my reservation late but will room hopping be at the Fishing Center. You might try Calico Jacks as they have a marina. Off island, Atlantic beach has numerous condos that go cheap off season. This late, Google is your best bet. Nevercwm33.gifwhen planning a fall trip to Harkers.

cwm40.gifDon't forget to purchase your NC saltwater fishing license. Available online with downloaded temporary form.

link www.ncwildlife.org/biggrin.gif

We used to rent a house in Beaufort with a dock right across the street for week stays. Couple of minutes and we were out the inlet. It has been a few years, but I am sure you could find a realtor that serves that area with a quick google search. There is also a comfort inn on 70 in Morehead that was nice and clean and cheap with boat ramp only a mile or two away.

View PostHey guys,

I am new to site. I am thinking about going down to Harkers on the 7th of November but have never been. Does anyone have any recomondations on a place to stay or a place to stay away from? Am I delusional in thinking that I will be able to find a place to stay near by this late in the game? If there is nothing available on Harkers is there some place near by that I should look into? We are towing down a 23' Jones Brothers so I would need a place that is boat friendly. Thanks in advance.

Chad

Check PM

Ooops- you haven't been around long enough yet.

shoot me an email:

johnkirk@midmaine.com

If you have been discouraged from considering the Harkers Island Fishing Center, there are a small number of vacation rental homes available on a less than weekly basis. Contact JoAnn Mangum Real Estate for that. We stayed at a house 500 feet from the fishing center (Called "Hook Up") where you can put in and keep your boat and that is closest to all the action.

I have not stayed at the center motel but many have and they were happy with it for the price. The motel is literally 100 feet from the docks at the center, a short walk to the only real restaurants on the island and I think would maximize your time there on the water and into the fishing. The folks there are very friendly and helpful and you just may get some good information on where the fish are, also making your trip more productive. Its a small fishing center run by local people who know the ropes. The Fish Hook retaurant is close by (a whole block away) and the best place to eat. Very cheap, good food and again, friendly people. The photo shows the fiishing center and the motel is to the right. The boat ramp is in the center of the photo.

If you can't find a house to rent in Beaufort. There are tons of hotels in Morehead City. Some offer a fisherman's special like the comfort inn discussed above. The fishing is just as good out of Beaufort as Cape Lookout.

Comfort Inn in Morehead is now a Quality Inn ... needs some rehab also. The economic down-turn has hit the area pretty hard.

I would try to book the Honeymoon Suite at the HIFC ... no mints on your pillow, but you will be amongst the Capt's and anglers who know the drill and can steer you toward fish. Gleening the late afternoon info dockside is worth it alone.

The HIFC has a special ambiance ... wet counter-top problem fixed.

Toilets ... hold lever down for 3 seconds.

uSED TO STAY IN MOOREHEAD AT THE COMFORT INN THERE ARE OTHER MOTELS...DROPPED MY LT AT A MARINA IN ATLANTIC BEACH...CANT REMEMBER THE NAME ...PROBABLY STILL THERE...HAD A RAMP, FUEL, FLOTING DOCKS AND VERY CLOSE TO BEAUFORT INLET. JUST OVER THE CAUSEWAY BRIDGE TURN LEFT DOWN SHRT WAYS ON LHS....

I just got back from Harker's yesterday. We rented a house listed by Joanne Mangum (mentioned in a post above). It was way more than you would need (there were 6 of us), but she represents quite a few properties. Since this is the off season for rentals, the prices are not too bad. We had a dock right behind the house, which made things very convenient. Give her a call.

P.S. I'll try and post my report tomorrow.