Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
L3gend Angler

Asian Crabs : Selling

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

View Postwhats the difference between asian crabs and our crabs?

One comes frrom permiscuous activities on this side of the Pacific while the other is usually from beaches in Taiwanwink.gif

View Postwhats the difference between asian crabs and our crabs?

Asian crabs are a invasive and destructive species that don't belong here.

First showed up sometime in 1988 in NJ.

View PostGreen Crabs ? headscratch.gif Your supposed to get rid of them and theyre everywhere why not sell em ? Saves us a trip to the water to gather .

Green crabs and Asian crabs are 2 different things.

View PostGreen crabs and Asian crabs are 2 different things.

correct. and both are invasive.

i think greens are called european shore crabs or something like that.

Interesting, didn't know that about green crabs.

Another thing, I read somewhere that striped bass were introduced to the West Coast a while ago and are now considered a trash fish there. Not sure if this is true or not but is related to the original thread.

Can greens an asians cross pollinate and make babies? I found 2 that were not greens and were not asians. They looked like both. 5 serrated edges like greens, but bellies were the same color as asians. They were much stronger than asians, but the claws were not like greens, the claws were more like the asians. No bands on the legs like asians. No orange or green like greens. When I picked them up, they tucked their claws and legs into their belly to protect themselves. They were so strong, I couldn't pry the legs and claws up. They were the size of a big asian crab. The shell was not as square as the asians and not as round as the greens headscratch.gif

If i find more I'll get pics.

View PostInteresting, didn't know that about green crabs.

Another thing, I read somewhere that striped bass were introduced to the West Coast a while ago and are now considered a trash fish there. Not sure if this is true or not but is related to the original thread.

A few state representatives here want to consider stripers trash so they can continue draining N. CA water and pumping it to S. CA. kooky.gif

Very, very few fisherman or fish eaters out here feel that way! mad.gif

I believe the theory of how they came to invade was being transported within the bilges of large cargo ships coming from or back from Asia that would, as they pulled into port, pump out their bilges and infest us with the crabs.

It's a sailor thing....

Nice Tog bait though....

My local Bait & Tackle in Long Island, NY told me it is illegal for them to sell them. I guess as an invasive species they don't want to open any market for them as that would promote growth and development of the species.

He also mentioned they are pushing out the local green crabs and fiddlers. We found tons of asians overturning rocks at low tide in LIS.