Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Chimney cleaning

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

If in doubt...just do it. Better safe than sorry because a chimney fire is pretty scary. No big deal to DYI , get the poles and brushes from Lowes/Homies or other and clean your own. You can buy the equipment for about the price to hire someone.

They sell a chimney cleaning log at Home Depot and Lowes for about $15. I have used them about 5 times and they really work well. Just light the log and place it it the fireplace. Takes about 2 hours.

I use them in my wood stove. It turns the sticky, nasty creosote into easily removable flaky stuff. Like magic.smile.gif

View PostThey sell a chimney cleaning log at Home Depot and Lowes for about $15. I have used them about 5 times and they really work well. Just light the log and place it it the fireplace. Takes about 2 hours.

I use them in my wood stove. It turns the sticky, nasty creosote into easily removable flaky stuff. Like magic.smile.gif

Ditto, I have been using them in both my fireplace and woodstove for the past couple years and they do work like a charm. I have also seen a powder for the same purpose at the hardware store. Get a good fire going and throw on a couple scoops.

Did you burn wood in your chimney at any time in history?

Do you plan to burn wood at any time in the future in the same chimney?

If you answered yes to both questions, get it professionally swept.

A chimney fire killed realtives. Don't eff around. Please. Seriously.

No wood stoves here. No, the question was provoked by a salesman's call about cleaning the chimney from my oil burner. That's the only combustion source in the house.

View PostNo wood stoves here. No, the question was provoked by a salesman's call about cleaning the chimney from my oil burner. That's the only combustion source in the house.

Sounds like he was drumming up some business.

I have lived in an oil burning house most of my life, and never heard of anyone cleaning the chimney from an oil burner.

But, maybe I am dumb.headscratch.gif

View PostSounds like he was drumming up some business.

I have lived in an oil burning house most of my life, and never heard of anyone cleaning the chimney from an oil burner.

Never heard of doing that, either.

oil burner should be serviced every year and chimney cleaned as needed, whoever services oil burner should be taking apart flue pipe all the way to chimney and can tell you if chimney needs cleaning.

View Postoil burner should be serviced every year and chimney cleaned as needed, whoever services oil burner should be taking apart flue pipe all the way to chimney and can tell you if chimney needs cleaning.

That is true, but doing the brush thing is rarely necessary if you are getting good combustion. A lot of smoke means a lot of unburned oil is going up the chimney.

View PostThat is true, but doing the brush thing is rarely necessary if you are getting good combustion. A lot of smoke means a lot of unburned oil is going up the chimney.

agreed it is rarely necessary but inspection is the only way to know, the other thing to worry about is critters blocking the flue.

better to get it checked and know its clean than to wake up dead from a blocked chimney.frown.gif