Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfmat

Gloves, tape, leather guard...???

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Hockey tape- 2 wraps. Still have good feel, comes off easy without residue, and it's cheap. I also wrap it on my rod over the reel foot (tape on reel) to help prevent slip.

Aquaskinz finger kevlar protector thingy #1!

I've done the tape etc and I always seem to wrap too tight and my finger turns purple...but maybe that's just me.

I use the aquaskinz gloves (i only wear one on my right hand). However, the one thing I don't like is that after wearing it all night, you're hand is completely pruned, whereas your other hand has exposure to the air and isn't nearly as pruned.

I've heard other guys taping/glueing a leather flap to their rod, and when casting they just cover their braid with the leather flap and cast. I think the leather flap doesn't have to be big, just so it can cover your line and won't hinder your cast.

Hockey Tape. Used both the AquaSkins Glove and finger shield. Once they get wet they suck. The leather guard they sell in stores eventually comes flying off your finger at one point or another.

$1 a pair nitrile coated gloves from Home Depot. I only use the one glove, on my casting hand. Any left-handed casters out there want to split em' with me? biggrin.gif

I used waterproof medical tape for years but recently switched to the Aquaskinz kevlar finger protector. It is fairly comfortable and thin enough that I can tie knots while wearing it.

View PostHockey tape- 2 wraps. Still have good feel, comes off easy without residue, and it's cheap. I also wrap it on my rod over the reel foot (tape on reel) to help prevent slip.

thats what i do, but not on the reels thats electrical tongue.gif

I use a deerskin glove with a small piece of plastic cut from a water bottle,glued over the finger tip with a cow hide thumb piece glued over the first finger. 2 seasons and still going strong. even when wet it stays good. you do have to take it off to tie knots, but I haven't had a cut since I made it. and it isn't that bad in the summer either. (though you do not tan on that hand...).