Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nebe

any WWII collectible buffs here?

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

I have a Japanese officers sword taken off of Tarawa by my grandfather- its got bullet holes through it, but its pretty much all in one piece.

Whats something like this worth?

I brought a bunch of my grandfathers WWII Nazi dagger, arm bands, etc to a local gun shop who also specializes in war memorabilia, he priced everything for me and told me what its worth. I can give you his # if you want to give him in a call, he is in PA though.

Wouldnt trust that. Bullet holes could be a problem too.

However, my parents nextdoor neighbor, and my other grandather of sorts, the man that taught me to shoot highfive.gif was a seabee in both Europe and the Phillipines. He showed up in the Phillipines with a Lugar in his dufflebag, and some psycho who he feared was the kind of guy to slit his throat in the middle of the night, no questions asked, wanted it. In the end, he 'traded' it for a j-a-p (whiy is autocensor *ing that word???) sword.

About 15 years ago or so, we talked Joe into researching the thing. Ultimately, the hilt came off, he took rubbings of the japanese inscription on the blade under the hilt and sent it off. Sword turned out to be fromt he 1600s and worth more than a few bucks.beers.gif

Point is, if its the real McCoy, start under the hilt.

I had both my grandfathers bring stuff back from WW2. Both were in the Pacific rim, one in the navy, one in the army. One army one is still living, and has some amazing stories. He was one of the guys shooting the gattling guns into the woods in the middle of the night to prevent ambushes, and when they would wake up, there would be hundreds of dead bodies in front of them. He didnt last long, got his legs blown apart by a mortar, yet he can still walk. The navy one died right after I was born, and I recently got his Luger. Shoot it every once in a while too biggrin.gif, sweet gun.

got my great grandfathers iron cross with oak leaves and swords (it was the second highest medal in WWII Germany) bet its worth alot because it is rare. Also have my great grandfathers helmet they go for like $ 400 plus on the net in good condition.

View Postdid your great grandfather know the dead guy he grabbed the medal from, during the retreat?

he got the medal after he died. I forgot to mention he also got (not in my possession) iron cross first and second class, close combat badge and other awards. They are all floating around in the family somewhere.