Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wildcard777

Van Staal vs. Giant Trevally

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Do you think a VS can handle these brutes from the surf or are they strictly bait casting game? My dream is to land a 60+ lb Ulua from the surf on a through-wired swimbait. dream on?????kooky.gif

The biggest determinant would be the reef structure. Even with high drag, the reef would be my biggest worry. Nice deep beach or from a boat--not as big a deal. But, yeah, I believe a VS would hold up well either way. Go for it!!

View PostOutside some of the two speed spinners, can't think of any other reel that is more built for the challenge.

Shimano Stella: built for this long before anyone with a VS thought of it.

View PostOutside some of the two speed spinners, can't think of any other reel that is more built for the challenge.

What do you think that the "GT" in the Saltiga 6000 GT stands for? wink.gif

And the "Dog" in the Dogfight refers to a dogtooth tuna.

And there are guys on the Cape who handle 200 lb BFT on $300 Shimano Saragossas cwm27.gif

I think that 70% of work is on rod, 20% on drag end Spool line capacity and 10% on gear in the reel,for successful landing big size or hard fighting fish .

as most say, it's very doable.

the stella sw- in aussie- lands 60 kg GT's all the time...so why not a VS (mostly from boat or from beaches where there's too much coral).

I have no first-hand experience, but from what i've seen, some use large poppers with single hooks...those fish are pretty darn strong!

(GT fishing has been for years neart he top of my dream list, thus I am jealous!)