Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NHsalter

Opinions On Flylines

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Just cleaning and taking apart my gear for the season and realize my 10 weight intermediate line is pretty nicked up and that its been several years since I purchased a fly line. This one was a Scientific Angler's Striper line, and was pretty happy with it. Was wondering, since its been a few years, what are you all fishing for the surf in that weight line? Any recommendations or opinions? I'd be much obliged.

Most, if not all, striper-specific fly lines have heads too long for the type of fishing I do - steep beaches behind me and deep wading. They have heads of 38' (SA) and longer.

I like the Wulff tapers (30') especially in the Monoclear lines and ghost (clear) tips with inter. tips and floating running line. I also like the way that they load my rods - faster than the others.

If you are fishing from a boat where you are high off of the water then my guess is that the others will be O.K. and you won't tick the water. But I still prefer the Wulff in those situations because I can load the rod faster.

Regards,

Herb

NHsalter - replaced two old surf-colored Sci Angler intermediates (8 and 9 wt) back in September with new SA Mastery Series Striper lines, same weights. The new lines have a clear tip which I like, and the green running line is easier to see and track. The new lines shoot a little better but probably only because they are new and slick, not worn like the old lines. Certainly not because of my casting prowess (?!)

HL - have you tried any of the so-called redfish lines in the surf? They all seem to have short tapers, but may only be mfg'd as floaters. I don't recall an Int or clear sink tip.

I've tried a Rio 8-wt and a Sci Ang 9-wt redfish lines for snook fishing around docks and bridges. Don't have that much time on either line yet, but so far they seem okay. I like that I can retrieve the fly closer to the rod tip, lift and then shoot cast with minimal false casting.

Just wondered you've tired them in the surf.

Snookfly,

Hi,

I have not tried the SA Redfish line - only avail in floating. I did try the RIO clouser line (floating also). Both the clouser and redfish are 1/2 line up from "standard" lines. So the #9 line would be the equiv. of a #9.5.

The Wulff lines feel like they are also heavier - maybe not 1/2 - but heavier.

I like the combo of heavier head and stiffness of the Wulff - especially for FL use. Can get a little stiff on the Cape in early season - then I like the old Airflo clear striper coldwater.

Herb