15,000 Giant Trevallys harvered

Rate this topic

Maruthu

View PostI fish very close to the place where they harvested these fish and this makes me sad redface.giffrown.gif

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ow/6789604.cms

Maruthu

Maruthu,

As a person from either Tamil Nadu or Sri Lanka, you know better than me the economic situation of these fishermen. Most of them live below the poverty line. Do you think they understand the enviornmental impact? Even if they do, what other financial means do they have if they forego on these rare opportunities? It's sad, but it's a matter of feeding one's kids.

P.S. I hope there are some GTs in the Kovalam/Kollam beaches when I get there during the end of January.

Losing the skunk, one cast at a time

Yes its sad no argument.

But ppl who comment should realize the poverty level of these fishermen.

Its either the fish or them, ask some one who has kids to feed and no other source of income. frown.gif

I dont want to comment on the sustainable fishing, blah blah.

View PostMaruthu,

As a person from either Tamil Nadu or Sri Lanka, you know better than me the economic situation of these fishermen. Most of them live below the poverty line. Do you think they understand the enviornmental impact? Even if they do, what other financial means do they have if they forego on these rare opportunities? It's sad, but it's a matter of feeding one's kids.

P.S. I hope there are some GTs in the Kovalam/Kollam beaches when I get there during the end of January.

I know they have to feed their kids, but I they should atleast know to leave some for their kids redface.gif

Some kind of education might help. I have spoke to some guys that think the resource is unlimited frown.gif

View PostWhy would anyone want to harvest GTs. Ciguatera poisoning is a real risk with them.

We do not have any reefs near Chennai and hence there is no risk of ciguatera poisoning.

View PostCommercial fishing is the only way to make a living for some folks I guess. I wonder if they were spawning?

I was wondering the same thing. That is a huge school for a fish like GT.

I couldn't find more information on the web regarding the incident. Lets hope they were not spawning.

View Post

"Due to exploitation, the total population of this species has declined by over 84% since the turn of this century"

Hmmm how did that happen? headscratch.gif

Winch,

The local fisherman believe that releasing a fish is bad Karma (returning the gift from God).

So when I fish there I keep my catch or give it to them. I do not want to piss them off by releasing the fish.

Maruthu

PS: I wish the department for fishery educated these folks to some extent that might help with some amount of conservation redface.gif