Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ryan560

My first wonderbread attempt

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I tried to do a marbled wonderbread on this pikie. I don't think I lightened up the colors enough, and well the marbling looks really messy?cwm27.gif Figured I would share this with you all before it gets repainted,just to get some opinions... It's been said before airbrushing is a whole different game, they weren't kidding...

Don't feel bad.....my airbrushing skills are as weak as they get man, lol. Your example is why I have yet to attempt wonderbread. biggrin.gif It's not that bad though......we are our own worst critics.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah I dunno what I was thinking trying to jump right in to wonderbread? I'm gonna stick with simple colors for awhile.Still need to get a color cup for my brush, changing colors is a p.i.t.a... I like the airbrush alot better than spray cans because you have pretty much a endless color selection, that's the only plus side I've found so farwink.gif

View PostThanks for the feedback guys. Yeah I dunno what I was thinking trying to jump right in to wonderbread? I'm gonna stick with simple colors for awhile.Still need to get a color cup for my brush, changing colors is a p.i.t.a... I like the airbrush alot better than spray cans because you have pretty much a endless color selection, that's the only plus side I've found so farwink.gif

Color cup will help a lot in speeding things up, but it's still work. I like it because I can airbrush in the office and I am learning slowly how to blend colors. Plus you can heat set the paint super fast. No more hang drying for a day+.

I lack a LOT of finger control still.

How many coats of the pearl did you put on? The best way is many thin coats over your primary colors. I blow three to five coats over the color patterns. Also make your vivid colors a smaller diameter and leave space between them.

server is busy so can't show you a picture

Winch, I did 2-3 undercoats of pearl white then dropped my psi down to 20 or so and tried to marbleize it.I sprayed the 3 wonderbread colors down mixed with pearl then did a coat of pearl over that. Do you guys mix in pearl with the red/blue/yellow or just do coats of pearl over the colors to dull them out?Thanks

View PostHow many coats of the pearl did you put on? The best way is many thin coats over your primary colors. I blow three to five coats over the color patterns. Also make your vivid colors a smaller diameter and leave space between them.

server is busy so can't show you a picture

Listen to this guy ^ smile.gif

Jigman

Listen to Winch there, as for myself I have made a couple before and there is a bit of a learning curve.

I would say to start off, maybe place some smaller - I would say spots - in the wonderbread colors you are going to paint over a plain white base, leaving a large amount of space in-between them. Remember less can be more, maybe only put 2-3 spots of each color, depending on the size of the plug.

From that point you can go back and enlarge the ''spots'' you made to a point where you think they look good, and again make sure to leave some space in-between the colors, but I will say that it can look really good if you just barely touch the colors and cover the plug. This way is a good amount of work, but if you start small and then slowly add width to the spots you have a bit more control.

Then after you got the spots to a point where you like them add a coat of pearl over the top, and again like Winch said a few coats sprayed thinly will do the trick, and you can keep adding them till the colors are the lightness that you want.

I hope that this helps

Thanks again fellas. I was reluctant at posting this at first because it's probably the worst paint job I've seen on here to date cwm27.gif, But I figured maybe others could learn something from it as well. I was trying for a pattern like the wonderbread on an a-salt bomber. Another great thing about airbrushing and painting with createx is the paint washes off, no minutes wasted sanding off krylon biggrin.gif

View PostThanks again fellas. I was reluctant at posting this at first because it's probably the worst paint job I've seen on here to date cwm27.gif, But I figured maybe others could learn something from it as well. I was trying for a pattern like the wonderbread on an a-salt bomber. Another great thing about airbrushing and painting with createx is the paint washes off, no minutes wasted sanding off krylon biggrin.gif

I have an attic full of plugs with worse paint jobs than that. Keep up the good work, things take time and practice.

View PostThanks again fellas. I was reluctant at posting this at first because it's probably the worst paint job I've seen on here to date cwm27.gif, But I figured maybe others could learn something from it as well. I was trying for a pattern like the wonderbread on an a-salt bomber. Another great thing about airbrushing and painting with createx is the paint washes off, no minutes wasted sanding off krylon biggrin.gif

all ya really need are yellow, black and a mac pattern or three anywho biggrin.gif