Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justintrask

Fishing for trout in a pond at night

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever done it? I've really only trout fished during the daytime hours in stocked ponds, but with me getting out of work around 5 tonight I think I might try the sunset into a few hours of the night. Is it worth my time? I have ultra light tackle (4lb test 5 foot rod) and only have access to rooster tails (1/6 and 1/4 oz white and rainbow).

I have had luck early dawn and late dusk using worms. I have fished for trout late nights but never had luck, I was probably doing something wrong.

Small yo-zuri swimming plugs are the way to go and live-lining chubs is top notch........brown trout are the trout you catch the most at nite........If you bait fish at nite just be prepared to catch some monster eels!!........

View PostSmall yo-zuri swimming plugs are the way to go and live-lining chubs is top notch........brown trout are the trout you catch the most at nite........If you bait fish at nite just be prepared to catch some monster eels!!........

And White Perch too.

Back when I fly fished (a lot, in the 70's) we used to night fish for browns in streams. The bigger ones definitely feed at night. A big wet fly or muddler minnow was the ticket.

There was an article in OTW one of the past few fall issues about fishing for browns at night--mostly w/surface baits, stickbaits and the like. I'll see if I can locate the exact issue.

Back in the mid eighties we used to fish at night on a well known trout pond. we would use 2 anchors (bow & Stern) and hang a lantern over the gunnel. Chum with some live grass shrimp and then bait the hook a shrimp and no weight. let it sit at about 8 - 12 feet and watch the rod tip. We took some very nice fish that way.