Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Suicidal Garden Rodent?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

cwm13.gif

WHAT do you think would eat THIS?

attachment.php?attachmentid=404737&d=128

Took this picture on I think Friday....today, went out to the garden and the entire plant was completely gone, chewed down to the stub, no signs of it anywhere. First, can't think of how anything that is big enough to do that could get thru the fence, and second, these peppers are SUPER HOT.....perhaps not as hot as habeneros, but pretty close....can't imagine what would eat the entire plant and not spit it out after a few bites....cwm13.gifheadscratch.gif

I dunno, perhaps, but have a hard time believing a bird could clip off the plant at ground level and carry the plant away with no trace of it.....suppose it is possible, but just seems strange.

No big deal, as the plant was about done anyway.....just found it odd that of all things in the garden, it would be the HOTTEST peppers I have out there......

View PostI dunno, perhaps, but have a hard time believing a bird could clip off the plant at ground level and carry the plant away with no trace of it.....suppose it is possible, but just seems strange.

No big deal, as the plant was about done anyway.....just found it odd that of all things in the garden, it would be the HOTTEST peppers I have out there......

Crows work in packs ya know. Ask Otter, he knows things, he watches Discovery. wink.gif

We have gangs of birds pillaging here regularly this time of year. Cedar Waxwings, Robins and Jays are have tearing through the berries one day or another. Crows visit our compost pile and I'm not sure if there's anything they wouldn't eat.

I have had serranos eaten. They were in a large pot and the top third was eaten one night. I figured it for a deer drive by and thought the rest was safe but it was eaten to the ground the next night.

It was a squirrel. When I lived at the old house and had my hot peppers planted next to the house they cut everyone off at the stem. It was either them or the chipmunks and I'm pretty sure it was them.

If your stems were as thick as mine it had to have teeth.

I had a Yellow Nape Amazon parrot a long time ago. Had no problem eating hot peppers.

Once I was down at KDH with my ex and her parents. Making sausage and peppers on the beach. Tony wrapped some cayennes up in bread for the gulls and they apparently can taste the peppers.