Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xmytruck

Tobeys Island

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I have as well. As long as you stay below high water mark, you should be OK. Used to get BIG blues there in the fall around the Pogie schools. Any Pogie sightings in MB lately?

Technically, the only people who have a right to set foot on the bridge, other than Tobey Island residents, are holders of Bourne shellfishing licenses.

We only recently acquired that right because the channel was dredged and it's too deep to wade across any more. The right of way was negotiated by the DNR.

There are two designated entry points on the other side for shellfishermen. Any other place on the island above high water, you're trespassing. And you only have the right to cross the bridge to shellfish.

View PostTechnically, the only people who have a right to set foot on the bridge, other than Tobey Island residents, are holders of Bourne shellfishing licenses.

We only recently acquired that right because the channel was dredged and it's too deep to wade across any more. The right of way was negotiated by the DNR.

There are two designated entry points on the other side for shellfishermen. Any other place on the island below high water, you're trespassing. And you only have the right to cross the bridge to shellfish.

So I can cross to shellfish but can not cross to fishheadscratch.gif

I believe what you want to do is to cross the shellfish first, or to make plans related to future shellfishing ventures, then stay below the high tide mark and fish the rest of the area....

View PostSo I can cross to shellfish but can not cross to fishheadscratch.gif

That's right. The bridge is private property, as is all of the island. The bridge is maintained by the association of residents and property owners. Even shellfishermen didn't have a right to cross the bridge until recently, because the channel was shallow enough to cross at low tide. It was dredged a few years ago, and DNR had to get us permission to use the bridge to get to the shellfishing beds on the island's shoreline, including one of the limited number of oyster beds maintained by DNR. Entry points are posted on both sides of the road, and those are the only two legal access points to the shoreline.

You could probably access the shoreline by boat or kayak for fishing, as long as you disembark below the high water mark, but technically you have no right to cross the bridge, except to access the shellfishing beds. Most of which are closed until November 1 anyway.

There's a sign posted on the Mo Beach side of the bridge, to the effect that access is limited to licensed shellfishermen, as I recall from last year.

View PostI believe what you want to do is to cross the shellfish first, or to make plans related to future shellfishing ventures, then stay below the high tide mark and fish the rest of the area....

View PostThat's right. The bridge is private property, as is all of the island. The bridge is maintained by the association of residents and property owners. Even shellfishermen didn't have a right to cross the bridge until recently, because the channel was shallow enough to cross at low tide. It was dredged a few years ago, and DNR had to get us permission to use the bridge to get to the shellfishing beds on the island's shoreline, including one of the limited number of oyster beds maintained by DNR. Entry points are posted on both sides of the road, and those are the only two legal access points to the shoreline.

You could probably access the shoreline by boat or kayak for fishing, as long as you disembark below the high water mark, but technically you have no right to cross the bridge, except to access the shellfishing beds. Most of which are closed until November 1 anyway.

There's a sign posted on the Mo Beach side of the bridge, to the effect that access is limited to licensed shellfishermen, as I recall from last year.

Thx Guys... for taking the time...

View PostThat little bay can have some good fishing in the fall..................

When was younger that was the plan, I miss that area.. i am going to make a point to do next year.