Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wet Head

The Existential Approach to Surf Fishing. Lesson #1

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Our preferred method was also fishing training for my sons. We had one of those little 3 foot long childrens baitcasting set up that I loaded with some old heavy braid.

We tied a little rubber shark on it and my sons would stand near my recliner and (when mom wasn't around) would cast it into the dining room where the cast would be lurking.

And you can imagine how the rest of these seminars progressed.

They bite, ya set the hook - or in this case, yank the shark away juuuust as the cat thought he had it...

Hours and hours of fun... I was never crazy about any of the damn cats anyway and both of my boys are now 7 and 5 and my 7 year old had 3 keepers last year and 4 this year. My 5 year old has probably 100 trout under his belt, countless catfish and a dozen schoolie bass....

They are both great at setting the hooks all by themselves... If anyone has any children they want to train for short casting a bait casting reel and hook setting, I'll be happy to loan you 3 really helpless cats....

View PostOur preferred method was also fishing training for my sons. We had one of those little 3 foot long childrens baitcasting set up that I loaded with some old heavy braid.

We tied a little rubber shark on it and my sons would stand near my recliner and (when mom wasn't around) would cast it into the dining room where the cast would be lurking.

They bite, ya set the hook - or in this case, yank the shark away juuuust as the cat thought he had it...

Hours and hours of fun... I was never crazy about any of the damn cats anyway and both of my boys are now 7 and 5 and my 7 year old had 3 keepers last year and 4 this year. My 5 year old has probably 100 trout under his belt, countless catfish and a dozen schoolie bass....

They are both great at setting the hooks all by themselves... If anyone has any children they want to train for short casting a bait casting reel and hook setting, I'll be happy to loan you 3 really helpless cats....

What the hell? Your 7 year old does better than me headscratch.gifredface.gif

Way to go on the teaching highfive.gif

View PostOur preferred method was also fishing training for my sons. We had one of those little 3 foot long childrens baitcasting set up that I loaded with some old heavy braid.

You have the makings of a Master, Grasshopper.

Good, I'm not alone smile.gif. I just set a rig up on a snoopy pole. Getting ready for a Looooonnnngggg winter. I have a cat toy on a snoopy pole. The toy is a soft ball with feathers sticking out. I can bounce the ball off of the door into our bedroom. I have actually drawn the cat out and into the hall. I'll be fishing for orange stripes this year!

First get a small fuzzy stuffed toy. Tie it to 3-4' of 30lb mono. Attach the mono to a ceiling fan. Turn the fan on to medium speed. Place the cat directly under the fan. After 3-4 revolutions the cat will usually come free. Repeat.