Is this considered bad form?

Rate this topic

squandel

View Post90% of the folks on this web site know that a bite can come up anytime and if you are talking instead of paying attention to your rod, you may miss the bite of a fish of a lifetime...101 in bait fishing...

That is correct.

But...we were not more than 20 feet away, and I did have that little bell alarm-thing attached to the tip before I wandered off. Given the chances of a fish of a lifetime in that 30 minutes and the wisdom that guy gave me, I'll take the latter, thank you very much.

View PostThat is correct.

But...we were not more than 20 feet away, and I did have that little bell alarm-thing attached to the tip before I wandered off. Given the chances of a fish of a lifetime in that 30 minutes and the wisdom that guy gave me, I'll take the latter, thank you very much.

Ok, I did not think about the bell. I got to get one of these bells...I think the guys that believe that fishing is like church will love it...wink.gif

View PostI think the guys that believe that fishing is like church will love it...wink.gif

Isn't fishing like church?

Or maybe church is like fishing?

From Wikipedia...

Fish in the Gospels

Fish are mentioned and given symbolic meaning several times in the Gospels. Several of Jesus' twelve Apostles were fishermen. He commissions them with the words "I will make you fishers of men".

At the feeding of the five thousand, a boy is brought to Jesus with "five small loaves and two fish". The question is asked, "But what are they, among so many?" Jesus multiplies the loaves and fish to feed the multitude.

In Matthew 13:47-50, the Parable of Drawing in the Net, Jesus compares God's decision on who will go to heaven or to hell ("the fiery furnace") at the end of this world to fishers sorting out their catch, keeping the good fish and throwing the bad fish away.

In John 21:11, it is related that the disciples fished all night but caught nothing. Jesus instructed them to cast the nets on the other side of the boat, and they drew in 153 fish.

A less commonly cited use of fish in Christ's life may be found in the words of Matthew 17:24-27, in which, upon being asked if his Teacher does not pay the temple (two-drachma) tax, Simon Peter answers, "Yes." Christ tells Peter to go to the water and cast a line. He says that a coin sufficient for the tax will be found in the fish's mouth. Peter does as told and finds the coin.

wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

View PostIsn't fishing like church?

From Wikipedia...

Fish in the Gospels

Fish are mentioned and given symbolic meaning several times in the Gospels. Several of Jesus' twelve Apostles were fishermen. He commissions them with the words "I will make you fishers of men".

At the feeding of the five thousand, a boy is brought to Jesus with "five small loaves and two fish". The question is asked, "But what are they, among so many?" Jesus multiplies the loaves and fish to feed the multitude.

In Matthew 13:47-50, the Parable of Drawing in the Net, Jesus compares God's decision on who will go to heaven or to hell ("the fiery furnace") at the end of this world to fishers sorting out their catch, keeping the good fish and throwing the bad fish away.

In John 21:11, it is related that the disciples fished all night but caught nothing. Jesus instructed them to cast the nets on the other side of the boat, and they drew in 153 fish.

A less commonly cited use of fish in Christ's life may be found in the words of Matthew 17:24-27, in which, upon being asked if his Teacher does not pay the temple (two-drachma) tax, Simon Peter answers, "Yes." Christ tells Peter to go to the water and cast a line. He says that a coin sufficient for the tax will be found in the fish's mouth. Peter does as told and finds the coin.

wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

I used to fish in the Jordan river...exactly in the same spot where Jesus was baptist..

Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him (Matthew 3:13). According to the Bible, it is just beyond the Jordan (John 3:26) i.e. on the East Bank of the River Jordan.

What can I tell you? The bells did not ring for me over there..I was getting one skunk after another...

View PostI used to fish in the Jordan river...exactly in the same spot where Jesus was baptist..

Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him (Matthew 3:13). According to the Bible, it is just beyond the Jordan (John 3:26) i.e. on the East Bank of the River Jordan.

What can I tell you? The bells did not ring for me over there..I was getting one skunk after another...

I hear ya.

It's like praying to catch fish where they ain't, instead of working hard for it.

I'll take preparation over a prayer any day. And these bell alarms - I don't use them any more. They tend to come off when you set the hook, and they make a racket. Watching the tip is much more fun and makes you pay attention. Unless you need to wander off, occasionally....

wink.gif

• 2 years later...

Quote:

[TABLE]

[TR]

Originally Posted by Wojtek View Post

From Wikipedia...

Fish in the Gospels

wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I used to fish in the Jordan river...exactly in the same spot where Jesus was baptist..

"Jesus was Baptist"? The Pope will be so disappointed.

Quote:

[TABLE]

[TR]

Originally Posted by Wojtek View Post

From Wikipedia...

Fish in the Gospels

wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

However, it was said that you did walk on the water.