Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
squandel

Is this considered bad form?

Rate this topic

254 posts in this topic

You're a short distance away from a guy at night. The tell-tale sound of a peelin' drag tells you he's catching fish. The lack of that noise from your own reel indicates you're not. The 'dark' prevents you from figuring out what he's using. Is it bad form to walk over and ask?

Just the fact that you can see another person let alone hear his drag zinging is against the rules...to add insult to injury ur gonna ask him what he's using...U can't make this stuff up. beers.gif

Part of the fun is figuring out yourself.

Definitely bad form. I don't think it is bad form if you look over and see the profile/shape of the lure and it looks like a minnow.

Thats right up there with the guy that asked me the other night "did you just catch that striper" meanwhile my plug is hanging out of the fishes mouthcwm13.gif I replied "no, I have been sitting on it for a while"

Depends on who it is.

If it's a friend and he ain't telling, just tackle him to the ground drag it in and take a look tongue.gif

I believe there are two techniques:

1- cast across his line, snag his plug and reel it in to "untangle" it for him

2- run over when he catches and ask if it's a striper or blue meanwhile you can take a glance at what he's using.

wink.gifbiggrin.gif

I see nothing wrong with it. Pretty much everytime I am fishing, at least one truck will pull up and ask if I am catching anything, and what am I using? I've never once been offended by either of these questions. If I didn't want anyone to know what i was doing I'd find a more secluded spot.

Thanks for the answers and my apologies to those that seem offended that I should ask the question. Personally, if I'm catching fish and if the guy who would ask is not jumping my spot, I'm happy to tell him what's working. It may seem weird to some but I would get a nice sense of satisfaction helping someone who wasn't catching fish to get one. That said, and I mean this, I can understand that some wouldn't feel that way so that's why I asked.

dont apoligize, your just being curious. people ask me all the time what im using even when im on my boat. it dont bother me, i rather see people catch fish and give them a smile toohighfive.gif . there are plenty of fish out there for everyone. i could understand if stripers were a species that stayed in one spot all the time and you asked to spot jump but your just asking what lure or bait hes using. for all we know he might of asked someone else that was there before you the same question. good luck

Idunno. If I'm catching, I never mind if someone asks what I'm using. I'd rather see people catch than get skunked.

I just don't tell them that I reel upside down and behind my back. That's the real secret.