Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2dogs

Question on drag setting

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I typically set my drag, by scale, for 25% of line test.

Having chartered all over Mexico, the DR and the Carribean I find the drags setting to be much lighter. My conclusion is that this is the "tourist" drag setting. They want to wear you out so you feel like you got your moneys worth. Does anyone else find this or is it me?

View PostI typically set my drag, by scale, for 25% of line test.

Having chartered all over Mexico, the DR and the Carribean I find the drags setting to be much lighter. My conclusion is that this is the "tourist" drag setting. They want to wear you out so you feel like you got your moneys worth. Does anyone else find this or is it me?

I think it might also be that they are probably using star drags and the set them to the smallest fish you might catch. When you hook up, it's up to you to work the star. If the drag is set to marlin and you hook a small cero or mahi trolling, say goodbye to the fish's jaws or lips.

How much line are they letting out ... as a spool empties drag pressure increases. They may set low so that they can troll deep and have the correct drag setting at depth.

View PostHow much line are they letting out ... as a spool empties drag pressure increases. They may set low so that they can troll deep and have the correct drag setting at depth.

cwm15.gif

My most recent experience was in Cabo last month. The reels were Tiagra 50's. I can understand it with a star drag. A properly set drag should not result in lost tackle IMO. A properly set drag also plants the hook on the strike. Just seems odd to me. I have never seen this on any charter in the states.