Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimG

Need an opinion from the political correct crowd

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

I work in an office that is about 30% Indian. We are invited to wear Halloween costumes on Friday. I was thinking of wearing a traditional Sari.

Would this offend or just be funny as intended?

Is the gamble worth it in these terrible economic times? headscratch.gif I'd clean my testicles with battery acid before I did something that might add me to the unemployment lines. cwm31.gif

Err on the side of caution. Dig your Batman costume out of the attic. wink.gif

my guess is it's a matter of intent.

is it funny because you are dressing like a woman?

or is it funny so you can mock indians?

If the perception is you are dressing in a way to directly mock co workers,

then I'd pass.

and I don't think it's a matter of political correctness,

but rather one of common sense.

View Postmy guess is it's a matter of intent.

is it funny because you are dressing like a woman?

or is it funny so you can mock indians?

If the perception is you are dressing in a way to directly mock co workers,

then I'd pass.

and I don't think it's a matter of political correctness,

but rather one of common sense.

Not intended to mock anyone. Its halloween. people dress as nuns - I don't think they are mocking Catholics. People dress as native Americans, people dress as the pope...

Its all good. Halloween is supposed to be fun.

but thanks for your opinion. I just dont know what it is. I asked how it would be perceived not what you assume my intent is. Though its your line of thinking I guess i am looking to avoid so not to offend. So thanks

If you are a woman, this move may most likely be considered as cute by the 70% non-Indian and as a sign of respect by the Indians. Oh, make sure that the blouse fits you well and you get help in wearing it from an experienced person. It's very hard for non-Indians to pull of the saree.

If you are a man, and I assume you are one Jim, this may most likely be percieved as in poor taste. It may be taken as an insult and Indians feel insulted for everything--basically, no sense of humor. Funnehs based on an Indians' parents and women are non-funneh to them.

But then again, if the Indians in your office are young ones with a sense of humor, and you really want to cross-dress, go for it. But understand that there is a pretty good chance of a sitdown with the HR guy.

I think your intent IS very key.

believe it or not, people CAN see past feigned innocense,

and if your intent is to mock co-workers, it will be noticed.

and yes, I avoid some costumes because of the perceived mocking.

why be a nun if NOT to mock clergy at some level?

You know in my first post I said "funny as intended"

not mock

funny

yes the office is young and I know many indians and many very well. I think they have a great sense of humor. Early polling says funny from select co workers but one says might be perceived as offensive.

maybe I'll just wear one for the neighborhood party.

View PostI work in an office that is about 30% Indian. We are invited to wear Halloween costumes on Friday. I was thinking of wearing a traditional Sari.

Would this offend or just be funny as intended?

what made you come up with a Sari as a costume?

View PostYou know in my first post I said "funny as intended"

not mock

funny

yes the office is young and I know many indians and many very well. I think they have a great sense of humor. Early polling says funny from select co workers but one says might be perceived as offensive.

maybe I'll just wear one for the neighborhood party.

That'd be better for the saree.

For the office, instead of the saree, may I suggest you dress up as the Cigar Guy from the Tiger Woods photo? That was my idea for a costume to the party I couldn't make it to this weekend. I'm Indian and the partygoers are mostly from my cigar lounge who golf a lot. All I needed was a shawl from one of my sisters and a fake mustache from Party City. I got plenty of cigars. A red dot on the forehead would complete the costume. I think the office will laugh at this for sure with out much offense.

Actually, just get a John Edwards lawyer and sue the business and tell them how hurt and offended you are that they celebrate a holiday where people misrepresent themselves as members of other groups.